Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought 87 Subaru RX

when i was at the auto part store and asked what size motor i had and my book said it was a 1.6 but i just went outside and looked under the hood and read the sticker under the hood it is a 1.8 DER me lmao

how much do yall think a 2.0 or 2.2 would cost?! sence i dont keep on worring bout seals going out on this motor ....

also do yall know what body kits go with thee car ive been looking but idk what ones to choose from ,and id like to keep up wit the other WRX early 90's ver we have in town

im tring to set my car up for like racing around The Dragon (idk if yall heard bout it 318 cruves in 11 miles :grin:)

when i was at the auto part store and asked what size motor i had and my book said it was a 1.6 but i just went outside and looked under the hood and read the sticker under the hood it is a 1.8 DER me lmao

how much do yall think a 2.0 or 2.2 would cost?! sence i dont keep on worring bout seals going out on this motor ....

also do yall know what body kits go with thee car ive been looking but idk what ones to choose from ,and id like to keep up wit the other WRX early 90's ver we have in town

im tring to set my car up for like racing around The Dragon (idk if yall heard bout it 318 cruves in 11 miles :grin:)

If you want to keep up with the WRX's, get a WRX.

By the time you spent all the money, time and effort to swap another engine into the RX, you would have paid for half of a WRX.

Then after upgrading the suspension, etc, your looking at even more $$$.

And I definitely know what and where the Dragon is.

img_5828.jpg

no i dont wana buy a WRX i love the style my RX has but it already has an upgraded suspention my buddy gave me new spings and shocks idk what kind they are but its awsome in the curves...

i know im gonna spend alot of $$ and time in my car ....

Hello ED, I found it in Monument. We should get together for a photo op. Post a pic of your RX. Everyone seems to know what the RX is, although finding a windshield has been tricky. -Tom

Have you tried Judd's glass up in woodland? Mine only has a small rock chip, no cracks yet, but I'm sure I'll need a new one some day.

Here's mine.

HPIM1844.jpg

I've known about the RX for many years. My mom got me into Subaru when I was 12. A buddy of mine had one back in Ohio that he loved, but would never sell me. Jerk!

I still gotta get some more rust repair done, and finish painting my new'ish fenders with crappy roller ball paint, but I would be down for a photoshoot sometime soon!

PM me and I'll give ya my email. :banana:

Edit: I keep forgetting to hunt down that damn window trim!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=102416242&albumID=666864&imageID=45546642

heres my baby need sum body work and the seals but shes good

okay sorry about that i forgot i had the profile set to privet now its open .... now the pic can be veiwed

Edited by SGT_Juggalo
fixed link and site for pic acess

If you want to keep up with the WRX's, get a WRX.

By the time you spent all the money, time and effort to swap another engine into the RX, you would have paid for half of a WRX.

Then after upgrading the suspension, etc, your looking at even more $$$.

And I definitely know what and where the Dragon is.

img_5828.jpg

this is something i have to chime in on but it depends on what you can source and what you know. my wagon with my ej swap and all will come in somewhere in the range of 5-6k, but i'm making alot of my own stuff and working with what little i got. i had a wrx and loved it, this car will never replace it but damn't just can't beat 20 bux a month for liability insurance!

oh and the end result of a killer handling car with 350hp and the ability to tune as i feel.

hey all i was wondering sumthing

i found a 2.5L small block from a 95 forester from subaru dealership for only 2200

i was wondering would it fit into RX

and if u have any ideas of what i can do with it on boosting it or anything that needs improving the motor and also wondering would the turbo i have on my 1.8 work good with it ?!

hey all i was wondering sumthing

i found a 2.5L small block from a 95 forester from subaru dealership for only 2200

i was wondering would it fit into RX

and if u have any ideas of what i can do with it on boosting it or anything that needs improving the motor and also wondering would the turbo i have on my 1.8 work good with it ?!

Dont waste your money on the 2.5.

Better off with a 2.0 thats already setup for turbo.

Well I have decided to sell this 87 RX, I have had fun with it but I already have something faster so it's on craigslist for $1250 in Colorado Springs, CO. I did title it in my name, so the title is clean. It still needs a windshield, although I may put a new one on it for a 4-door RX and just fill the bottom 1" with rubber, but two parties came to look at it today, both considering it as a first car for a teenage son. I think this would make the ultimate 1st car because nobody else has one, it has the cool drivetrain, turbo power, sporty handling, and can be upgraded later to more power. My number is 719 439 5569. -Tom

87SubaruRXReady%20018.jpg

87SubaruRXReady%20003.jpg

87SubaruRXReady%20012.jpg

87SubaruRXReady%20015.jpg

87SubaruRXReady%20010.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 14 years later...

I’ve also just bought a 1987 Subaru Rx and I know nothing about the motor. I’m pretty sure my timing belt slipped because it’s just cranking and it’s getting fuel and air. Spark plugs and distributor are fine. But I was wondering if someone had any input on the best method of getting to those belts. Better to take off the front clip or just pull the engine?