Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear sway bar question

OK for some reason I thought all ea82 cars came with rear sway bars, but today I found out that is not the case... Rather the RX's and GL-10s only came with rear sway bars??

I've been hopping around on my one good foot (broke my left ankle weeks ago) upgrading the running gear on my 86 GL 3 door.

Put rear disk brakes on, put RX springs and 19mm sway bar on up front.. cranked up the rear coilovers, etc..

Anyway, I have a rear sway bar lying around and I noticed my GL didnt have one.. and it didnt even have the mounting tabs on the control arms for one. Long story short, I'm gonna put the rear sway bar on...

Has anyone come up with anything to mount the sway bar to the control arms when you dont have the tabs? I figured I would just make some and then weld them on, but??? BTW is there anything better than the RX/GL-10 rear sway bar available? something stiffer from a different car???

Thanks guys... its been a few years for me with the ea82 cars, but its coming back to me.

-Mike

I am actually in the process of doing this myself.

The factory brackets are just 25mm rhs (1 inch box)

Ive already cut mine to shape, i just have to punch the holes in them, and weld them on

Im using some RX rear trailing arms to copy the brackets from

Here are some images of my progress so far

post-6651-136027633355_thumb.jpg

post-6651-136027633364_thumb.jpg

post-6651-13602763337_thumb.jpg