Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 fuel tank wont flow

so i been having problems with power to my fuel pump but now i have my fuel pump pumping i get no fuel comming out of the fuel tank. ok so this what i have done. i took off both fuel lines from the tank and no fuel came out. so i decided to put 5 gallons of gas in the tank incase the gauge isnt working. still nothing comming out. so i stuck a oil dip stick in the spout off the tank and only maybe a 1/4 of it was wet. im puzzled. im mean in reality the whole thing should have be been wet and should have started to pour out if there was something was blocking it.theres over 5 gallons of gas in it. what am i suposed to do? is it posible theres still not enough gas in there? also i stuck a hose into filler to make sure gas was there and able to pump. which worked. please help.

Drain the tank (the bolt on the bottom of the tank). Then remove the fuel level sender (carefully as the studs can break off) and look inside. If it's a mess in there (rust, etc) then just replace the tank. You'll have to pull it to have it cleaned and there's just no reason as there's plenty of good tanks to be had for cheap here in the NW.

GD

i drained it and it doesnt look that bad in there. what i tried putting carb cleaning down the pickup and it still dosnt flow. i started taking the gas off tank off but relized i need to drop the rear end to get it out. i live in apartments so i cant really do to extreme of work in my parking spot. any other ideas of maybe how to get the pickup to start flowing?

• 2 years later...