Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

Recently had problems starting my Impreza. Tried absolutely everything.

Then at last it started when I put a truck 600CCA battery on it. Took that off and put my normal car 500CCA battery back on. It ran the car for about 2weeks. But still didn't start that well. It has now stopped working again.

I tried putting the 600CCA truck battery back on to see if it would work, but no!

What could be the problem? I've got gas in the car.

Edited by sub_dont_touch

On the starter. Follow the + battery cable back.

Check the Battery voltage, terminal to terminal and note it.

Move the positive lead to the starter end of the terminal and check the voltage and record. Now have someone try to start the car, the voltage should not drop but .5 volts or so if the system/wiring is good.

If it checks good there, go to the output side of the starter solinoid to the starter motor and do the same.

If you are not comfortable checking the system, most autoparts places can check it for you or you can remove your starter and take it to a starter rebuild place and have them check it.

• 3 weeks later...

If he thinks the starter motor is fine, then what does he think it is?

Get yourself a manual, most of even the cheap ones have the test procedures for your problem.

It still sounds like cables to me- Does it even click or do anything when you crank it?

It sounds exactly as it should but doesn't have that last kick that starts the car.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "that last kick."

What happens when you turn the key to start? Do you hear a click, but the engine doesn't turn over?

Is it doing the same thing as the last time it wouldn't start?(2 months ago) What fixed it then?

Yes. I tried putting a 600cca truck battery on it. It started. Then put my 520cca car battery back on, it worked for a week. Died again. Put truck battery back on, no go, my battery, no go.

Ok, if it's turning over then it's not having trouble cranking. Check your fusible links in the underhood fusebox.

I have check all the fuses :(

I have also tried jump starting from my dads truck, 600cca. No go.

Edited by sub_dont_touch

If it's spinning the engine over normally, then it doesn't need a jump start. If it's spinning over properly, then it's not a cranking issue. It's a running issue.

These can be one of four things:

fuel

air

spark

timing

If it ran, it obviously has compression. If it sounds funny turning over, it might have a broken timing belt. If it doesn't have fuel pressure, then it's probably the fuel pump. If it doesn't have spark, it could be several different things on that particular engine, including fuses, relays, and harness issues.

Most likely thing for a suddenly and intermittently non-running engine is fuel pump. Pop the gas cap open, and have someone turn the key to "on" while you listen at the gas cap opening. If you don't hear anything, your fuel pump isn't running.

Basically, yes.

The sound you are listening for is a whir/whine noise.

Double check the pump before you replace it, though- Go to Autozone and rent a fuel pressure tester -not the pressure/vacuum gauge, you want a pressure tester for an efi car- You may have to tee in at the fuel filter on your car, not sure if it has the pressure test port. If you have no or very little pressure, then replace the pump. If you have ~45psi of pressure, then there's another problem.

4volts sounds like a bad relay or you might have probed the gauge wire.

The fuel pump is only on for 3seconds when you first turn the key on, while cranking, and while running. With the key on and engine stopped, it's off. You need to probe that wire while turning the key to run, watch the meter while someone else turns it on, or as a last resort figure out which relay is the fuel pump one and jumper it.

I'm not sure if the ground connection to the fuel pump is tied to ground or if it has a controlled ground connection. At any rate, 4 volts across the pump isn't good. You need to have 12 volts across the pump leads. Try checking the voltage to the pump with the meter common lead tied to chassis ground. If you see 12 volts then the ground to the pump is controlled.

just tried the starter fluid idea. Sprayed some into the intake piping twice, didnt work but then sprayed into the end of the piping and a bit in the throttle body and it fired once then died.

so this is a fuel problem whether it be the pump or the electrical to do with the pump.

I will check the power again and post up results.

TO 4x4, I think you are correct. I must have probed the gauge wire. To be honest I don't know which wires are which and just tested all for power.

Edited by sub_dont_touch