Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wondering about a few things. (Pics)

5ocvag.jpg

What does this plug do? The little white one.

Its coming out of the distributor.

or75fb.jpg

Dont know what this is either? Thermostat???

2cz4u3s.jpg

And this?

The reason I'm posting these is because my engine has a cooling problem and I'm trying to figure out why??

Thanks for any suggestions

Oh also wondering how to install a front mount intercooler?

I have an intercooler just need to see how people have installed theres.

Thanks

Edited by tysree

It has a cooling problem because it's an old turbocharged car. And none of those items are your issue. FIRST you need a new radiator, thermostat, and a complete cooling system flush just to see where you stand. Most likely you are going to be replacing both head gaskets - not a fun job on that engine.

Unfortunately, if you don't know what that stuff is, or can't find out easily, I'm here to tell you that an EA82T is way over into the deep end of the pool for you.

An intercooler isn't going to help cool the engine. And installing a front-mount is going to be a huge job. First you have to have room for it - that's going to take modifications to the bumper, grill, etc. Removing the AC evaporator is almost a sure bet. Then there's the plumbing - that's going to be interesting to say the least. There's a reason people put top-mount's on these engines. Less lag too.

GD

It has a cooling problem because it's an old turbocharged car. And none of those items are your issue. FIRST you need a new radiator, thermostat, and a complete cooling system flush just to see where you stand. Most likely you are going to be replacing both head gaskets - not a fun job on that engine.

Unfortunately, if you don't know what that stuff is, or can't find out easily, I'm here to tell you that an EA82T is way over into the deep end of the pool for you.

An intercooler isn't going to help cool the engine. And installing a front-mount is going to be a huge job. First you have to have room for it - that's going to take modifications to the bumper, grill, etc. Removing the AC evaporator is almost a sure bet. Then there's the plumbing - that's going to be interesting to say the least. There's a reason people put top-mount's on these engines. Less lag too.

GD

i second that

Just put on new head gaskets and I dont really care if the car is fast or not I just want a daily driver type of car that wont over heat.

The only reason I got a front mount is cause there was a cheep one at u pull it.

And Ive herd that the thermostat is in the radiator?

I am agreeing with the others... this car is beyond what appears to be your ability...not that its a bad thing..but if you want a DD this isnt the car for you..it is better suited for a project/learning aid..that can spend time sitting and not being depended on.

5ocvag.jpg

dont know, if the car runs with out it dont bug it

or75fb.jpg

buy a Haynes manual, look up AAV (Auxiliary Air Valve) its in the same section near it

2cz4u3s.jpg

Dryer for the A/C

I have an intercooler just need to see how people have installed theres.

Thanks[/QUOte]

front mount is possible but you either have to use a smallish one that isnt very wide or hack into things like they were saying

theres a ea82 from where i used to live that has a front mount, lifted a bit, it isnt hacked into but it doesent have a grille either, i dont know if they took out a/c or what, it was before i had mine so i saw it and just thought it interesting

Edited by Niku-Sama

I would like to point also that no one on here is ripping on you. These ea82 turbo cars are complicated and unreliable. Even novice subaholics have problems. The slightest miscare of your cooling system and you overheat your car. And its not like your chevy celiberty or ford f150 where if you overheat it alittle youll be ok. No when you overheat these engines the headgaskets are dont for at the least. Pray you dont need to get any mill work done. IF taken care of they can be an ok engine but very week jackets in the motor and heads if im right Gd. Leads to bad coolent circulation which means warpage and a whole ton of other problems. Im not saying ditch your car, but im saying prepair for some heartache because ive seen alot of that from the turbo engines. Good luck buddy and remember the USMB is here for you, not against you.

see the thing i dont think i'll ever figure out is if the ea81 and ea82 are so dang similar then why does one have such a huge problem over the other, i know all the problems rely in the head, i dont see much about the bottom end of these things giving out and alot i have seen have drty engine cases/block and clean heads. but at the same time its like why adding lifters and timing belts caused the over heating problem and the warpage problem.

i donno, all i know is i should probally get a cheap ej22e and rebulid it at my leaisure because i dont think any old car is going to handle el paso texas summers well. which means cooling system beef up on my other car aswell

which reminds me i need to ask a question in the swap forum

see the thing i dont think i'll ever figure out is if the ea81 and ea82 are so dang similar then why does one have such a huge problem over the other.

Completely different head design. The EA81's used siamesed intake and exhaust ports. They also used studs rather than bolts to hold them on.

The entire problem with the EA82's is the head casting design, the head/block interface and the bolts. The bolts are one of the biggest problems for them holding head gaskets - that was done solely so replacing the head gaskets would be possible without pulling the engine. It is so wide with the timing belt arrangment that it would have been impossible to swap the head out without using bolts. It's the only Subaru engine that ever did that - all the EA81's and earlier used studs, and so do the EJ's.

The timing belts are somewhat ancillery, but aren't a great point either. They just generally make a poor design suck that much harder.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Well It did over heat and lost power, Nobody has told me what direction to go in, inorder of fixing this. I'm 17 and getting into cars this was a $280 fixer upper and I guess Ill be selling it for that now too.

Sorry I dont know where the thermostat is.

Well It did over heat and lost power.

Head gaskets are blown, heads may be cracked. Engine is probably junk at this point unless it's completely torn down.... even then it might not be worth the time. Once they have been overheated a few times it becomes unlikely that just an "upper end" job will cure all their problems. Often the high mileage engines have worn out rod bearings and scored cylinder walls due to their advanced age and fixing them is really an excersize in futility unless you go whole-hog and tear them down for a complete overhaul.

Read up on engine theory, get yourself a decent set of tools, an engine hoist and a stand - pull it out and tear it down. Best way to learn by far. It may be junk but at least you can learn something from it. Won't really be worth any less without the engine at this point. Hard to come by that kind of learning without sacrificing one or two vehicles in the beginning.

GD

Well It did over heat and lost power, Nobody has told me what direction to go in, inorder of fixing this. I'm 17 and getting into cars this was a $280 fixer upper and I guess Ill be selling it for that now too.

Sorry I dont know where the thermostat is.

you dont know where the t-stat is?

you took a freakin picture of it when you were asking about another part