Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What EJ engines are non-interference?

Is there any certain year that they have more hp/torque? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I think the 95 with the roller rockers would be the most powerful as it still has dual port heads. But pretty much the same.

Thanks guys. Now I have another question, between the EJ18 and EJ22, which one has more power? (I'm guessing the EJ22, but I'd like clarification)
Having driven both the EJ18 (my '94 Impreza 4 door) and the '97 Impreza EJ22 wagon, the '94 was more fun to drive. It would rev more freely and seemed to have more pick up; but then again the weight difference between the two would account for that. Also, the '94 had a 4.111 final drive and the '97 has a 3.900 final drive. In any event I always felt I hit the rev limiter faster in the '94.

Personally, if I were trying to build a "killer" engine I would opt for the EJ18. A more reliable engine and since everyone wants an EJ22, the EJ18 engine is always cheaper in the used marketplace.

Personally, if I were trying to build a "killer" engine I would opt for the EJ18. A more reliable engine and since everyone wants an EJ22, the EJ18 engine is always cheaper in the used marketplace.

But EJ18's are alot rarer too. I've only every seen one or two EJ18's used, whereas EJ22's in old legacies are cheap and all over the place.

Layale93v-

Would you please expand on how you know your '99 Brighton is non-interference?

Also, I agree with edrach in that I'd trade the 5 hp for the security of a non-interference engine. I really don't view my Subarus as sports cars.

Mike V.

That 99 EJ22 is interference.

The EJ22 has a good bit more power than the EJ18. I'm not sure what you're trying to do but the non interference EJ22's (up to 1996) are awesome for reliability. The later inteference EJ22's are great too..it's just that they're interference.

I have an EJ18 in a legacy. The heavier car and mountain driving doesn't suit it well. I can't go over 15" rims without a serious hit to highway performance. With 16" rims mine could only maintain 50-60 mph up steep mountain grades. Does fine on flat land.

It's easy enough to see for yourself though, you can go drive a couple and get a feel for them.

Edited by grossgary

That 99 EJ22 is interference.

The EJ22 has a good bit more power than the EJ18. I'm not sure what you're trying to do but the non interference EJ22's (up to 1996) are awesome for reliability. The later inteference EJ22's are great too..it's just that they're interference.

I have an EJ18 in a legacy. The heavier car and mountain driving doesn't suit it well. I can't go over 15" rims without a serious hit to highway performance. With 16" rims mine could only maintain 50-60 mph up steep mountain grades. Does fine on flat land.

It's easy enough to see for yourself though, you can go drive a couple and get a feel for them.

That's correct on the HP issue. It's also the reason that most of the early EJ18 models used a 4.111 rear. If your car has the 3.900 configuration, it certainly would suffer.

I also need to clarify my comments on my '94 Impreza. It originally came with after market 16" rims and the car was a "stone." It couldn't get out of its own way. When I re-installed the 15" rims it was better, but still slow. For rallycross purposes I used 14" rims with rally tires. In that configuration, the car had some real "kick" off the line and was quite a lot of fun to drive.

being a 95, i'm thinking it will have the smaller single piston calipers. prior to 1996 only the turbo's got the dual pistons i thought. some of the 96 and up models (GT's, LSi, OBW's) got dual piston calipers which won't clear with 14" wheels.

when putting 14" wheels on the larger dual piston calipers, the calipers just hit the inside of the rim, they don't even come close to fitting.

i've been tempted to see if there's a way to grind the calipers and shave the inside of the wheels to see if there's a way to do it. but in my case it might be simpler to see if i can reduce the overall diamter an inch via tire size. but the 15"ers i'm about to put on mine have new tires, so it'll be awhile.

Edited by grossgary

My front 2 piston calipers and rotors are too big or i'd go down to 14" rims, i even have two sets with great tires on them.
Yes, that's the reason I decided not to upgrade the calipers on my '97 L model Impreza. I upgraded the pads to a type suggested by Paul at Primitive Racing in Oregon and they work quite well with any use I plan for them (daily driver and occasional rallycross); nothing I do would induce fade with the setup I have and they work quite well.

Another reason is that no one seems to want the 14" rims so I can get more pretty cheaply or for free. Besides I'll have lots of tire opportunities when I upgrade the Brat to 5 lug hubs.