Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor error code, bad igniter/amplifier?

Hey guys you all have been a great help in the past and I could use some help again. My 86 GL was running good until the other day when it just died. It will start after some cranking and will run if you keep the RPMs up around 2-3k (with a slight miss noticeable) but as soon as you let off to make it idle it dies.

Here's the specs...

86 GL, 1.8L TBI, no turbo, FWD, and has the crank angle sensor LED distributor with no vacuum hose. http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/subarugl19861986a1cardonea131853354182.html

When I start it the ECS light is lit and I'm getting a 1 long 1 short error code from the ECM, which indicates the crank angle sensor. So I contacted a local shop that specialized in subarus and told the mechanic what I had done (thought it was a bad MAF so I checked and cleaned it) and what I was going to do next (replace the distributor) to which he replied "that's what I would do next."

So here's where it gets kinda confusing... A while back while combating another electrical issue arrgghh. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, both of which were very worn, and put in a new coil all of which did not resolve my issue at the time. Since I could not get a new stock coil I found a post (not on this forum) that an ACCEL super stock coil would work great so I went with that. That coil sure did give me some great spark and the car ran good for about a week until it died. That is when I ran across a post on this forum which stated the higher performance coils, like the ACCEL, have been known to damage/burn out the Igniter.

So I headed to the parts store and checked on getting a distributor and igniter. The parts store said they could get the distributor without the module. What module is this? Since I can't find such a part and the picture of the part they showed me at the store I don't see anywhere under the hood or in the distributor.

They then tell me is it located by the coil, which seems like a different part to me. So I check it out and I find a < HF8311 > part attached to the coil bracket with leads to both posts of the coil. I proceeded to remove and break the part in the process. Upon looking for this part number it appears that according to the forum here this is an ignition amplifier.

Given the error code I was getting prior to breaking the HF8311 part under the coil I'm likely going to need a distributor. As for a ignition module I don't know on that one. And as for the igniter or amplifier or whatever it is that I broke does anyone happen to have one of those lying around?

Lastly I also bought a new stock coil which they happened to have, which is the nippendito (spelling?) since they did not have the Hitachi and couldn't tell me the difference between the 2. Is there a difference or?

So basically I'm confused as to what part(s) I need or should get and replace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Sorry for the bloated post I just didn't want to leave anything out that would likely be asked later on.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

post in the parts wanted forum for another igniter (amplifier), someone will have one.

as for the distributor/crank angle sensor. you could attempt to disassemble the distributor and sensor. Pull it apart, clean the slotted wheel and pick up that make up the crank position sensor inside the disty. Put it back together and it might work good as new.

If a part is actually bad, post another thread in the parts wanted forum! They don't fail very often, so a used unit isn't a bad bet here. If you're worried about it, just buy two and hide the second one somewhere in the car!

As for the module issue, i have no idea on that.

Good luck.

I am not sure for the EA82.... but the EA81 used both Nippondenso and Hitachi distributors, and they are NOT interchangeable (I tried....). On those, the important part of the distributor IS the module. Buying a distributor without the module just replaces the mechanical parts. It doesn't have anything outside of the distributor except a standard coil -- no extra ignitor on the coil. But.... I recall that the SPFI distributor looks significantly different inside than the carbed EA81, and has both a module, and a optical wheel... at least on my '89. So... my experience with the EA81 may not mean a hill of beans for your EA82....:-\

Download this PDF:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/SubaruEA82-ServiceManualPart2.zip

And go to page 47 (53 in acrobat pages), and proceed with the tests there.

As for coil's - from what I have seen Hitachi was the only manufacturer of SPFI coil's. You can easily test the coil though so replacing it is only shotgunning parts and it's likely not your problem if the engine runs. The ECU is complaining that it doesn't see a reference pulse from the optical pickup - that's probably the pickup itself that's at fault. But follow the troubleshooting - it will tell you.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder