Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many belts...?

yes, two timing belts, both connected to the crank.

the crank has two toothed sprockets that slide onto it. the drivers side belt goes around one, the passengers side belt goes around the other. so they're off set by the width of one belt. it's really simple once you look at it.

thing is - keep in mine these belts are not lined up like modern belts so people do it wrong all the time. lots of cars are assumed to have bad problems when in reality the belts were just installed incorrectly. i'd like to know how many went to the scrap yard for that.

if you're replacing them, get the ebay kits as they include all new pulleys. on EA engines, the pulleys are 20+ years old and devoid of grease by now. none are good at this point. or get new pulleys, bearings installed, something, just don't plan on resuing the old bearings.

Yeah.... you need to replace the idler gear/pulley and the two tensioners when you replace the belts. I've had the idler gear sieze, and shred an otherwise good timing belt.... 220k on the original bearing was too much I guess...

I will certainly take all this into consideration. I just have never seen a car with two timing belts. BTW...is the EA82 an interference motor? (probably a good thing to know!)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

I still have this bookmark. I learned everything about the subaru here, starting with the timing belts. It's kinda tricky but once you learn it a monkey could do it. It will definitely be one tooth off the first time you try to snake it on there but be careful and it's really no problem. A hot tip I read recently is to use zip ties instead of the timing cover bolts, I'm definitely doing that. Some of the timing cover bolt will spin in the plastic or break so be ready. The pulleys when they come have a warning sheet about getting ANY oil or grease on the new belts because it is corrosive so I took all my covers off and washed them real good cuz that seemed like good advise. 200,000 is when you need pulleys I think. You don't have to take out the radiator to do the belts.

not all vehicles are the same. the XT6 (and maybe XT's) are easier than other EA's, more room. and i think different fan set ups are easier than others.

and a huge difference is whether you're doing anything else. if you're only replacing belts, then the radiator isn't a big deal. if you're doing anything else - water pump, oil pump, and more importantly any crank or cam seals then leaving the radiator in is annoying and it's easily bumped/dinged. rarely do i go in there just to do timing belts.

I will certainly take all this into consideration. I just have never seen a car with two timing belts. BTW...is the EA82 an interference motor? (probably a good thing to know!)

Open your mind to a world of possibilities when it comes to mechanical principles in general. Trust me - dual timing belts is far from the biggest oddity in the world of machines.

A TON of things have been tried over the last 100 years or so of automotive history. For example - at work we have a large Hyster forklift that we are trying to find a water pump for. The water pump is gear driven and has both coolant and oil running through it - it's leaking coolant into the oil. We may have to have some new components machined for it as it's got a very old flat-head engine of some type and parts are not availible it seems.....

EA81's don't have belts or chains - wrap your head around that for a bit.

GD

...A TON of things have been tried over the last 100 years or so of automotive history. ...

Absolutely True!

A Li`l bit off-Topic but let me tell you that the Weirdest Engine that I Have Worked at, is a Friend`s Ford Taunus (Yes, you read it Right, Taunus with N -Not Taurus- The Taunus is German Ford) V4 Engine.

See This Link, is Very interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taunus_V4_engine

Sometimes I Wish I Could invent some sort of Gears to Swap instead those Timing Belts... but at Least the EA82 is a Non-interference Engine.

Kind Regards.

Open your mind to a world of possibilities when it comes to mechanical principles in general. Trust me - dual timing belts is far from the biggest oddity in the world of machines.

A TON of things have been tried over the last 100 years or so of automotive history. For example - at work we have a large Hyster forklift that we are trying to find a water pump for. The water pump is gear driven and has both coolant and oil running through it - it's leaking coolant into the oil. We may have to have some new components machined for it as it's got a very old flat-head engine of some type and parts are not availible it seems.....

EA81's don't have belts or chains - wrap your head around that for a bit.

GD

Cadillac put out one of their first in 1905. The single (four stroke) cylinder, mid-car mounted engine, drove the car by chain. Some of its "modern" features were inboard brakes,(two rubberband type mechinisms that wrapped around the rear axle, and tried to slow down the car from its top speed of 28 mph) disappearing windsheild wipers (the whole windsheild is removeable) and rack and pinion steering. Which a women couldn't or wouldn't drive do to the strength it took to steer. The 5 gallon fuel tank was mounted above the carburator for gravity feed. I found this marvel to have some oddities!

Edited by Loyale93v