Ultimate Subaru Message Board

one peice drive shaft on a GL?

well it will work. hoever i had to drop the rear diff 1/4in. its a close call between the shaft and the tunnel.

i dont have any pics of it in the car, but here is a pic of the old and new shaft.

100_7515_tn.JPG

reason for doing a one peice shaft, is the 4EAT shaft i got from a wreking yard had a bad joint. it also had a qustianable carrier bearing.

my home-made carrier mount in my loyale kept eating carrier bearings....so I had an EA81 shaft lengthened.....it's worked pretty well for ~10-15k miles. only problem, is with the shot rear diff bushing, and ebrake handle bolts sticking down in the tunnel, it rubs when I'm hard on the throttle. before I sell it, I need to get in there and flip those bolts around so they don't stick down so much (and replace the diff bushing...).

• 8 months later...

excuse me if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer, but WHAT is the benefit of a single piece driveshaft? is that just for less rotational losses?

less reciprocating weight? unsprung weight? please explain it to me, i will accept being laughed at cuz as i write this, i already get the feeling the answer is day 1 logic.

excuse me if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer, but WHAT is the benefit of a single piece driveshaft? is that just for less rotational losses?

less reciprocating weight? unsprung weight? please explain it to me, i will accept being laughed at cuz as i write this, i already get the feeling the answer is day 1 logic.

Primarily because with a single peice shaft you have fewer moving parts - less to fail. Stock EA82 two-peice units are not serviceable without modification and in some parts of the country they are very scarce in the used market as well. Add to this the cost of a replacement stock assembly at somewhere around $600 to $800 and you can see why people would rather pay ~$150 for a new shaft that has serviceable u-joints, etc. The price for converting a stock shaft to serviceable joints runs about the same. It's an economic decision more than anything. Here in the NW where used shafts are plentiful and rarely fail due to our lack of rust - we just run the two-peice unless there's a need to do a one-peice because of size limitations (EA81 hatch with a 5 speed for example).

GD