Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year vcd's interchange?

need to replace the vcd on my 95 legacy (5 m/t). i'm going salvage yard hunting for a used unit first. my question is what year/models will have a vcd that interchanges directly with mine?

thank you for any leads.

wally

Welcome.

What exactly are you referring to as vcd? viscous coupling differential?

The coupling can be replaced separately from the differential. As for interchanagability between model years, I don't know specific years, but I think the 96 MY would probably work as well, and maybe the 90-94 legacies.

Welcome.

What exactly are you referring to as vcd? viscous coupling differential?

The coupling can be replaced separately from the differential. As for interchanagability between model years, I don't know specific years, but I think the 96 MY would probably work as well, and maybe the 90-94 legacies.

specifically the tailshaft coupler on the 5 m/t.

it has failed at 235K. not bad from my point of view. failure via binding/locking. difficult to drive when turning, especially when pulling into/leaving a parking space.

Get an entire transmission its easier. When the VC fails, the center diff takes a hell of a beating. Find yourself a low mileage unit from a car that was whacked that has matching tires.

Thats a very respectable mileage.

nipper

what year/models will have a vcd that interchanges directly with mine?

Find yourself a low mileage unit from a car that was whacked that has matching tires.

:) it'll be easier if i can look for models outside of '95, thus the original question.

i'm not firing on all 4 cylinders right now, so I wont answer (weeeee vicodin). Someone else will, but do a search here, as I am pretty sure there are quite a few posts on this. Your in a 95, so I would imagine quite a few would interchange.

interesting how this showed up on google :)

Maybe this will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions

nipper

• 10 months later...

update:

haven't got around to replacing the vcd or the transmission, just driving it in front wheel drive. however, 4th gear is becoming problematic, as it now pops out frequently when letting off the throttle or coasting.

in using the "transmission chart", as i read it, my 95 should have a transmission with code TY752VABAA. however, my actual transmission has the code TY752VAAAA. the chart claims this is for a model year 94 outback, but mine is a model year 95 legacy. the diff ratios are different. i thought i had 3.90, but according to the chart, i have 4.11. interesting.

first, there were no outbacks in 94, the 95 outbacks may have a 94 build date so it could be yours.

second, the viscous coupling in the manuals are fairly common and do not change often.

look at link below for a part number and usage information, that will help you find what years vc will work.

http://opposedforces.com/parts

Edited by johnceggleston

first, there were no outbacks in 94, the 95 outbacks may have a 94 build date so it could be yours.

second, the viscous coupling in the manuals are fairly common and do not change often.

look at link below for a part number and usage information, that will help you find what years vc will work.

http://opposedforces.com/parts

i'm aware of the outback, and when it began. my point was that the chart, which i believe was linked from somewhere on this site, has some decided inaccuracies. mine is not an outback, via the VIN. just a plain old legacy L wagon awd.

thanks for the link that you provided. i should be able to find something via that.

wally

i'm aware of the outback, and when it began. my point was that the chart, which i believe was linked from somewhere on this site, has some decided inaccuracies. mine is not an outback, via the VIN. just a plain old legacy L wagon awd.

thanks for the link that you provided. i should be able to find something via that.

wally

when you look at the opposed forces web site you will see that the TY number is a trans 'code' number not a part number. and when searching on the salvage yard web site, http://www.car-part.com, if the code numbers are different then the trans must be different even though this is not always the case.

opposed forces will list the code numbers for the different years and maybe even different part numbers for different years, but they will also show that multiple years used the the different numbered parts.

the vc you need was probably used 90 - 99 at the very least.

when you look at the opposed forces web site you will see that the TY number is a trans 'code' number not a part number. and when searching on the salvage yard web site, http://www.car-part.com, if the code numbers are different then the trans must be different even though this is not always the case.

opposed forces will list the code numbers for the different years and maybe even different part numbers for different years, but they will also show that multiple years used the the different numbered parts.

the vc you need was probably used 90 - 99 at the very least.

john,

thank you again. i used the link, and i believe i've figured out what i need to know. i no longer need to replace just the vcd, i need to replace the entire transmission. i could repair it, but it would cost more than replacing everything with a used unit.

wally

update:

haven't got around to replacing the vcd or the transmission, just driving it in front wheel drive. however, 4th gear is becoming problematic, as it now pops out frequently when letting off the throttle or coasting.

in using the "transmission chart", as i read it, my 95 should have a transmission with code TY752VABAA. however, my actual transmission has the code TY752VAAAA. the chart claims this is for a model year 94 outback, but mine is a model year 95 legacy. the diff ratios are different. i thought i had 3.90, but according to the chart, i have 4.11. interesting.

Compare the tranny number on the bell housing to the # on the VIN plate (in the engine compartment). It could be that someone has already changed the tranny and rear diff.

Center differentials are the same up to '97; in '98 SOA went to an updated version. I believe there was a good link and photos in nasioc; you might search there after you search here (I might have copied the link here when I ran into this issue on our Forester).

Compare the tranny number on the bell housing to the # on the VIN plate (in the engine compartment). It could be that someone has already changed the tranny and rear diff.

Center differentials are the same up to '97; in '98 SOA went to an updated version. I believe there was a good link and photos in nasioc; you might search there after you search here (I might have copied the link here when I ran into this issue on our Forester).

i suppose anything is possible. however, i bought the car with only 50K on it. and the tranny number on the b-h matches the number on the data plate on the driver's side strut tower, which is listed in one of my earlier posts in this thread. so, i don't believe anyone has changed the tranny/diffs as of yet.

i did manage to download line drawings of the center diff from either here or nasoic last year.

i don't trust the chart at all, especially after using the opposed-forces site information. the chart has misinformation.

wally

• 1 month later...

update: replaced the transmission over the weekend. the original 5mt lost 4th gear about 2 months ago, and on a trip to michigan a few weeks ago, it started to lose 5th and 3rd (probably a byproduct of lots of metal debris in the transmission from the rounded-off 4th gears). still, it got to 249K.

i had picked up a used impreza mt a few months ago with only 125K on it. reverse is slightly lower geared than the original (which i like, that's an upgrade for my work), but everything else was pretty much the same. had to use the original speedo sensor, since it was 2-wire (vs 3-wire from the impreza), and had to use the impreza exhaust hanger from the rear of the trans (it didn't have the two threaded bosses on the side like the legacy mt).

replaced the clutch while in there, and reused the legacy shift linkage, albeit with new bushings installed.

it's nice to have awd back, without the torque bind. it's also nice to remove the slop from the bad shift bushings.

car goes better down the road again, even on the highway. much firmer.

only real issue was the car had trouble starting. turns out the old bellhousing left a film on the starter (galvanic action?), preventing a strong ground. once i re-removed the starter, and gave the starter flange and bellhousing mount site the wire-wheel treatment, it started with no problem. no more click, click, click.