Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap

are the motor mounts the same tho ? if i did this i would also be tossing the tranny and putting in the ea82 d/r 5spd with jerry's conversion kit . i'd have the whole different bell , flywheel , ect . what i'm wondering is if the motor mounts match ? thanks .

Depends on how much of the EA81's electrical you want to use. The engine will mount up without much difficulty - I'm not sure if the pitching stop will be an issue but it's something I would look at. At most you will have to fab something for it.

The EA71's electrical can be used (complete with the distributor and all) if you want but the EA81 has a superior system that doesn't need the external VR, or the ignitor and ballast resistor.

You might ask Jerry if he knows of anyone that's used his kit with an 80 body - the floorpan sheet metal could very well be a different part number and as such you might have rubbing issues. The 5 speed is VERY close to the pan even with his kit - possibly only 1/8" in places. The need for the adjustable pitching stopper to tilt the engine back somewhat for his kit is one reason I asked about it above.

You will definitely need a custom driveline. There's no way around it with the hatch body. Jerry will know the exact length of tube between the yokes that will be required.

Other than those items - I can't see any reason that you wouldn't be able to do it with minimal effort. Although I hate doing tranny swaps - but that's just me.

GD

jerry already told me about the driveline when a guy was holding an 86 hatch for me . i have a very good friend who happens to run a driveline shop so i'm okay there . i had planned on using most of the electrical componenets from my 81 but to be honest i don't even know what an ignitor or ballast are. (please don't laugh , you had to start form the beginning too) i will talk to jerry tho . i went up to his house last weekend , he's a nice guy and his wife has a baja .

on my way home today the guy from craigslist called and said a nieghbor came over with cash and got the 86 . i had cash also but i work 4/10s and asked him to hold it till friday. i should have wired it to him said he'd hold it . what brakes my heart is that it was coincidentally my first subaru i had 12 years ago and i was looking forward to getting him back . i went back on craigslist and there is an 80 with a 1600 in spokane thus the query.

money talks ...

jerry already told me about the driveline when a guy was holding an 86 hatch for me . i have a very good friend who happens to run a driveline shop so i'm okay there . i had planned on using most of the electrical componenets from my 81 but to be honest i don't even know what an ignitor or ballast are. (please don't laugh , you had to start form the beginning too) i will talk to jerry tho . i went up to his house last weekend , he's a nice guy and his wife has a baja .

on my way home today the guy from craigslist called and said a nieghbor came over with cash and got the 86 . i had cash also but i work 4/10s and asked him to hold it till friday. i should have wired it to him said he'd hold it . what brakes my heart is that it was coincidentally my first subaru i had 12 years ago and i was looking forward to getting him back . i went back on craigslist and there is an 80 with a 1600 in spokane thus the query.

money talks ...

Money talks...........but timing is everything :-p

time is the essense-blue oyster cult . i love you guys and i love this site . you've helped me out more times than i can count thru the years . trubone is right . i should quit trying to force the issue and wait for the right one to come along .

time is the essense-blue oyster cult . i love you guys and i love this site . you've helped me out more times than i can count thru the years . trubone is right . i should quit trying to force the issue and wait for the right one to come along .

I have let many go by, have also missed alot of buys.

But something else comes around and I end up with a better deal.

In a few weeks everyone will get to see my latest purchase ;)