Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally got my Brat together and it wont do 55mph?

History- This brat has never seen the road since I have owned it, I dont have anything to compare it to/ dont konw anyone with an ea81 powered machine for a baseline of "good runing car".

Here is a list of current problems.

-Very bad vibrations under load in 3rd gear. BUT I get the same vibrations when the car is stopped and I rev it to 3k+ rmps's

I noticed the trans mounts were shot. I welded them solid just like in the Turbo Wagon. Vibrations changed. But I am suspecting the exhaust system. (welded mounts are my temp low cost fix for the time being, I need to spend my $ wisely)

-The Fuel guages works when I am on throttle. If I am at idle, it reads Zero petrol and when Topped off never read more than 1/2 tank.

-It will idle solid, it runs smoothe at most throttle application, It just seems flat at anything over 1/2 throttle soley lack of HP or incorrect main jet size? What are you guys running for a main on a weber 32/36 dgv?

-Temp guage doesnt work all the time OR the car keeps pretty darn cool? I know its not above 195 because the electric fan doesnt kick on. It just doesnt seem like the guage is accurate to the actual temp.

-To get to 65mph, I have to wrap the hell out of 3rd and it takes 3/4 throttle to sustain 65 in 4th. Is that right?

Thats all I can think of for now.

Edited by slideshow86

Well, if the cat is plugged up that will kil your power, try gutting it or test drive it with it off and see if there is a change...

With bigger tires, 3rd and 4th are not fun gears even with a Weber. The later 4 speeds (85+) had slightly higher gearing than the earlier ones... My 85 Brat with a Weber was more sluggish after I put 185/80 R13s on it :eek: so anything bigger than that could have an effect...

For reference, my 1600 Brat with stock tires accelerates like a mofo! And I can pull Satus Pass at 60mph without downshifting from 4th... But the single ranges have lower final gears, and I made a custom dual exhaust with an x pipe and put a Weber on it jetted for a 1800.

My 86 hatch was basically a rolling shell on stock wheels, and it hauled rump roast, it was stock with the same exhasut set up like yours, and a Weber... It was fun :grin:

-Bill

UPDATE-

Tonight I found a crack in my "new vac line cap" I had installed so I changed it and readjusted the timing and it runs alot better now. I remember a trick of spraying the possible leak areas with somthing and if it either bumps up or boggs it has a leak. Dont remember what it was though.

After a test run it was able to get right up to 65mph! :banana:

BUT I have a really bad vibration in 3rd when hard on the throttle. It throws alot of vibes through the shifter. Im thinking u-joints and/or trans mounts.

It now runs well enough to throw tabs and insurance on it and give it another try.

BUT I have a really bad vibration in 3rd when hard on the throttle. It throws alot of vibes through the shifter. Im thinking u-joints and/or trans mounts.

Does the vibration go away instantly when you let off on the throttle? If so, don't rule out a bad DOJ on the axles. I've been through 3 Brats, and 3 EA81 wagons and every time I had vibration like you describe it was a bad axle. One car, the vibration was so bad I thought the transmission would fall out of the car. If you have a torn boot on the inner axle joint, that's a sure tip off of a bad DOJ when coupled with that type of vibration.

UPDATE-

I found a crack in the "new" hoses I had installed causing a vac leak. It now runs a LOT better but still just doesnt seem right. I was able to hit 65 today but the vibes in 3rd are not fun.

I crawled under there and shook the driveshaft. The trans mounts are soo bad that the driveshaft, transmission and complete exhaust moves around way too much. I welded in plates and made the trans mounts solid so I can atleast make the 30 mile drive to my shop. After a test drive the vibrations are still there but much more under control and not as "intense". The vibrations seem to be coming from the entire exhaust system, when it gets really loud, it vibrates really bad. At a dead stop, I reved it over 3k rmps and I can feel the same vibrations? WTF? Engin mounts dont seem too bad but there are only a few exhaust hangers.

Hopefully tomorow ill have a custom exhaust.

EDIT- It doesnt feel like a DOJ, The DOJ's up front on the GL-10 are/ feel much worse.

Edited by slideshow86

Have you had the brat over 65 before? And I'm assuming that you're not going by the speedo, since the gearing is off. Depending on your tire size, it may never go any faster.

2 runs of 65mph recorded via GPS.

I dont mind if it wont go faster than 65 as long as it will do a solid 65 all the time.

My issue now is alot of vibrations coming from transmission/ center of car. It vibrates without the car moving, so its mount or exhaust related, its just really hard to troubleshoot. Anyone have this issue?

the solid mounts in themselves will cause vibration for sure.i just mounted some new tranny mounts with some weird ears on them, the ears hit the tranny on one side,and it is low enough on the crossmember that the other side hits a bolt.so i have some mad vibration.just to let you know.cheers, rbain