Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I was driving the other day, getting on the highway (at about 35mph), I started to slow down to turn right and went over a bump in the road. Right after the bump, (with the brakes still applied) it felt kinda like the ABS was kicking in, yet I wasn't SLAMMING on the breaks for it to kick in. It also gave me this weird sense that the back-end was floating but felt the repeated thud that you get in the brake pedal when ABS is kicked in. Anyone know what is causing this? I'm thinking something has to be worn out back there, but can't think of what it could be...any suggesstions??

K, so I googled the issue and came up with several different suby msg boards discussing the same exact problem. They all said they fixed the problem by taking out the ABS fuse if you are mainly driving on dry surfaces but if you end up going up to the snow or where its rainy, its a good idea to put the fuse back in.

Someone else had said the ABS sensor in their suby went bad after they did some work on the back end and messed up the sensor, so he had to replace it in that case.

I didn't see anything about the senor being recalled...but I'm still researching! At least I have a temporary fix...:banana:

Try cleaning the sensor off if you can get to it. It's just a magnet and can build up with particulates.

I've also seen cracked tone rings which could probably cause this symptom.

Two ABS issues that I do not think are your issue:

Bad tires (even just old with plenty of tread and matching) will freak out ABS, but that would only show up on snow/wet.

A bad wheel bearing can cause ABS issues, but it would almost have to (the ones i've seen) be bad enough to exhibit other obvious issues. Like noise, vibrations etc.

Try cleaning the sensor off if you can get to it. It's just a magnet and can build up with particulates.

Thanks for the advice....I'll try getting to it this weekend.

Yeah, I'm sure its not my tires, they're only about 6mnths old and this was going on even right after we put the new tires on. And I am also pretty sure its not a bad bearing either, no weird noises or vibrations going on.

Thanks again!

there is no problem here in what you feel, just the way ABS (crap) is.

period.

I have had numerous Subaru cars with ABS and all give the same type reaction you have felt.

Don't be alarmed, nothing is wrong, just ABS does this.

If i can shout out again ABS is Crap, but it can save your life, or it can take.

Do not pull a fuse, the system on the car does what it can, and it does it the way it was designed, so leave it alone other than cleaning the wipe points of the sensor magnet head

Edited by bheinen74

• 7 months later...
When I was driving the other day, getting on the highway (at about 35mph), I started to slow down to turn right and went over a bump in the road. Right after the bump, (with the brakes still applied) it felt kinda like the ABS was kicking in, yet I wasn't SLAMMING on the breaks for it to kick in. It also gave me this weird sense that the back-end was floating but felt the repeated thud that you get in the brake pedal when ABS is kicked in. Anyone know what is causing this? I'm thinking something has to be worn out back there, but can't think of what it could be...any suggesstions??

I found this description closest to my issue...

Except I don't hit bumps, and it still pulsates. Even worse, when the steering wheel is turned a decent amount and I apply the brakes, the brake pedal feels rock solid :eek:, at first with only about 1 cm of travel. Also, I feel that weird ABS-feel sometimes when I'm braking in a straight line, not anywhere close to slamming the brakes.

Car in question is a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited wagon with the 5-speed manual.

I need this answered ASAP because I need my Subaru to commute to work today...

First thing pedal pulsation is the way the car tells you you are using ABS.

Using ABS is not necessarily bad.

What is not normal is to be using ABS unnecessarily.

I remember when I finally got snow tires and now I only get ABS now when I stomp on it or am on sheer ice.

There are some summer tires like Yokohama that have a compound that is pretty good in the winter.

Sometimes summer tires are just too slick for cold conditions, and almost worn out tires are really bad in the rain.

Also if a bump in the road is triggering traction issues you also might want to consider shocks.

Since you were going around a corner the inner rear wheel had considerably less force on it than the rest, and coming off the back side of the bump may have even let the wheel leave the ground for a second, or have very little traction. ABS was simply kicking in to keep that wheel from locking.

Given the circumstances, I doubt there's anything wrong with your ABS.

maybe a bad ball joint? usually they rattle over bumps. also, if the wheel bearing is going out, the rotor will walk around in the caliper bracket.

both of these will cause handling issues. the latter could possibly throw off the abs because the tone ring and sensor are not truly aligned, and would give a different signal.

if you have a super crappy tire, try rotating it out with one of the better ones and see if that changes anything.