Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heart broken over Pugs.

Did you guys know that you can't fit 13" steel Subaru wheels onto a Peugeot car?

I didn't. But,I learned the hard way. Long story short, after a few emails,setting up a time and date,coming up with a set of subi steelies with tires on um, and driving a million miles, I had to walk away from a pristine set of eight spoke alloys with near new 205/60r15's.

A CL deal gone bad. I had the sedan up on a jack,one wheel off and the friggin subi wheel wasn't going on. For one,the brake caliper was way too big. And,it looked like even with the caliper removed,the brake rotor was going to be too big.

I think I could have mounted the subi wheels backwards,but the guy wasn't having it. That part kinda sucked 'cause in the beginning he just didn't want the car to not be able to roll. I think I could have got it done. But,I didn't get the chance.

Anyway. I just wanted to pass that info on in case someone else was gonna go rescue a set of pugs from the crusher. Don't take Subaru wheels and think your just gonna do a simple wheel swap.

In the end,the car went to the crusher.

Thanks guys..I knew I'd get some genuine sympathy here. I guess the worst of it is over now. :lol:

I know where a peugeot sedan "yard ornament" is right here in Olympia. Been there for years. I stopped and asked about it once. I kinda got brushed off.

I'm going to give that another shot.

Maybe this time he'll call the cops.

Thanks guys..I knew I'd get some genuine sympathy here. I guess the worst of it is over now. :lol:

I know where a peugeot sedan "yard ornament" is right here in Olympia. Been there for years. I stopped and asked about it once. I kinda got brushed off.

I'm going to give that another shot.

Maybe this time he'll call the cops.

Use the 15" subaru spare tires and wheels to put on the pug.

Jeff

I just might hit you up.

I have two.Need a couple more. This guy was willing to sell the whole car to me for scrap weight. But I didn't have my trailer and I wasn't going back.

Besides,it was a runner with a knock. I probably would have kept the thing and tried to fix it. I'm glad I didn't go down that lonely road.:lol:

I actually now have experience to say that basic 13" Subaru steel wheels will not fit backwards. The brake caliper and bracket on the Peugeot still stick out too far, and the rim won't seat against the hub. Looked like a crippled low-rider of some sort...very humourous. Then again, this was a Peugeot Turbo, so ohters may differ.

~Erik~

I actually now have experience to say that basic 13" Subaru steel wheels will not fit backwards. The brake caliper and bracket on the Peugeot still stick out too far, and the rim won't seat against the hub. Looked like a crippled low-rider of some sort...very humourous. Then again, this was a Peugeot Turbo, so ohters may differ.

~Erik~

You're going to run into the same problem whether the donor Peugeot in question is naturally-aspirated, turbo, or V6. Rear axles on lower-end models will probably be OK (IIRC, some had drums), but turbos and V6s were four-wheel discs (again, IIRC - it's been a while).

Back when I had Peugeots we used to swap wheels between models fairly frequently and never ran into interchange problems (that I remember). Getting rid of 390mm rims for 14" or 15" ones was the main swap, since nobody wanted to buy $300-a-corner tyres...