Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I scored a RX

Hello All. Just had to tell you all what I bought. I paid $400 for it...body is straight except the passenger fender (has a little dent), front bumper got pushed to hard on the same corner, and the back bumper looks like it had too much weight pushing down on it...it's at a slope.

It has the 4speed AWD auto tranny:-\ with the 3.7 LSD, it's a coupe. The interior is great...seats look nice and no cuts.

The thing is...it has coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant. The guy didn't explain why it did that...just said it broke down. So I am thinking that it over heated and he blew gaskets (best case scenario) or blew gaskets and everything is warped. So when I get some time I am going to pull the engine and take a look at it.

I drove it from the place I bought to my work (about 3miles)...it was like a smoke screen. TONS! of white smoke...like a fog. I'm a part time fire-fighter and we usually get calls about cars being on fire when it turns out to be a coolant problem...I never knew why people would call about that...but now i see why, especially when I was stopped...couldn't even see the HEADLIGHTS behind me.

EDIT: OH yeah NO RUST...ANYWHERE!

white smoke in those volumes

in most cases

indicate a ruptured diaphragm in the auto tranny's

vacuum modulator

Check the tranny fl.uid and see if it's low

or pull the vcuum hose off the modulator

(front pas. side of transaxle)

and see if it contains red ATF.

white smoke in those volumes

in most cases

indicate a ruptured diaphragm in the auto tranny's

vacuum modulator

Check the tranny fl.uid and see if it's low

or pull the vcuum hose off the modulator

(front pas. side of transaxle)

and see if it contains red ATF.

This smoke is coming out of the exhaust I didn't think there was a way for ATF to get into the exhaust unless it went the long way, as in through a crack in the radiator, that goes into the coolant line,then breaches into the cylinder. There is water in the oil. I'll do a compression check on the cylinders...what numbers should i get?

nice score justin...its a coupe, so you will find rust on it, dont worry:lol:

I agree, I almost bought a cherry 88 white RX back in high school (so in like 1997-8 or so) $5995, had like 58K on it, and had fresh seals, axle boots and timing belts. Sure enough, very light rust down on each side of the rear smugglers box (which my wagon didnt have, so that kinda turned me off on it... and the throttle was kinda touchy around town)

HTi the vacuum modulator is part of the 3AT automatic transmission shift control.

It senses the load on the engine via the intake manifold vacuum.

When it diaphragm breaks... tranny fluid id sucked directly into the intake manifold and the burned in the combustion chamber

result - clouds of white smoke out the tail pipe

this has been mentioned in other posts