Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wierd vibration/hummin noise FIXED

well, it almost sounds like a wheel bearing, but has a vibration i can feel in the floorboard and steering wheel.. only does it when the car is rolling, its not dependant on acceleration or deceleration at all.. the faster the car is rolling the louder and faster the vibration is.. the slower the car is rolling, the slower the sound and vibration are..

also when your rolling down the road, if you turn the wheel to the left the vibration and sound stop all together.. when your rollin straight or to the right its there and doesn't change..

i've already changed the drivers side CV axle (was shot anyways) and also the drivers side front hub with a known good bearing.. made no difference at all..

any ideas before it goes to the shop?

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

well, it almost sounds like a wheel bearing, but has a vibration i can feel in the floorboard and steering wheel.. only does it when the car is rolling, its not dependant on acceleration or deceleration at all.. the faster the car is rolling the louder and faster the vibration is.. the slower the car is rolling, the slower the sound and vibration are..

also when your rolling down the road, if you turn the wheel to the left the vibration and sound stop all together.. when your rollin straight or to the right its there and doesn't change..

Wow sounds just like my car (the 87 GL). I'm gonna try replacing my gear oil, its been like 6 years since I've done it. CV's, well mine are ok, though the boots are starting to get old, maybe one finally gave up and let something in (stupid cat makes the boots crack early) My bet is wheel bearings though. My bearings made noise for a while in the summer, then went away in teh fall, now they are really loud now (well if that is the mysterious noise anyway)

Check your u-joints in the drive line rear one. I was having the same problem, I replaced cv wheel barings tires wheels and i found out from some of the folks here that it was my drive line. The u-joints cant be changed. Have to get a drive line cause the joints are not removable. can get a used one from jy for 70 to 80 bucks. I couldnt visably see the worn joint till I got it out of the car but they were deffanately gone. hope this helps:headbang:

• 10 months later...

I am getting similar problems to this right now.

It happens around 20-35 mph. I do get a single clunking noise when i turn the wheel to the far left. Could it be ball joints?

How do I know that the ball joint are going to fail? I am getting married on Dec 5 and I do not have extra money for wrenching.

BW

i'd guess a bad u joint on the drive shaft if you have 4WD/AWD for a vibration that occurs at a certain speed while driving straight. if you drop the drive shaft (easy to do), you can inspect the u joints. a bad u joint will be very obvious - the joint won't move or it will be very tight and *lumpy* feeling. sometimes you can even tell just by looking at the u joints.

could also be a wheel bearing or tire (don't let tires fool you, they can cause strange symptoms). sometimes rotating the tires will show you it's the tires because the vibration will change or *move* for the lack of a better word.

you can try removing your tires and spinning the hubs by hand, you may be able to feel a bad wheel bearing (then again, maybe not). also look for play and noise in the bearings if you take a closer look by pulling the tire.

if it only vibrates around a turn, at a certain angle and speed then i'd guess a ball joint first, but may be your problem regardless.

Hi, I have had sounds like that and found the big nut on the axle a bit loose (even after a recent service) sometimes they don't seat in , also the taper washer can develope an edge that causes them to not seat in 100 percent . Moose]well, it almost sounds like a wheel bearing, but has a vibration i can feel in the floorboard and steering wheel.. only does it when the car is rolling, its not dependant on acceleration or deceleration at all.. the faster the car is rolling the louder and faster the vibration is.. the slower the car is rolling, the slower the sound and vibration are..

i've already changed the drivers side CV axle (was shot anyways) and also the drivers side front hub with a known good bearing.. made no difference at all..

any ideas before it goes to the shop?