Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Look What Followed Me home!!

and all it cost me was a lifted wagon... Previous owner said Blown Head gasket, But she starts right up, and no Milkshake.... Except in the Air Cleaner. and then the passenger side Intake Manifold gasket looks blown... so I'm thinking that might be the problem... (I don't want to do Head Gaskets but will if I have too.)

IMG00010-20091202-1349.jpg

IMG00011-20091202-1349.jpg

IMG00012-20091202-1350.jpg

IMG00015-20091202-1350.jpg

IMG00016-20091202-1350.jpg

IMG00017-20091202-1351.jpg

IMG00018-20091202-1351.jpg

IMG00019-20091202-1351.jpg

IMG00021-20091202-1352.jpg

IMG00020-20091202-1352.jpg

Edited by xoomer

Probably not an intake gasket with all that milkshake. Intake gasket would cause it to burn coolant, possibly leak it out on top of the motor and overheat once it gets low - won't mix coolant and oil like that though.

Make sure all the freeze plugs are in. Pull the oil pan as you need to clean it out anyway and check for freeze plugs in the pan.

Otherwise - almost a for-sure headgasket there - I've seen milkshake to that level before and that's almost a sure sign of HG's or freeze plugs.

Don't run it much or you will score the bearings and it will be junk. Might already have comprimised the rod bearings - I would be very tempted to drop in a replacement/EJ22 or do a rebuild and Delta Cam, etc.

GD

You can test for coolant in the oil with a lighter, just light a flame under the dipstick with some oil on it. If it sputters there's coolant in it. If it does nothing, it's clean oil (uuh, oke, maybe not clean, but atleast there's no water in it.)

As for milkshake in the oil filter, you could clean up the mess, drive it for a couple of miles and see if you can find the source. This type of sludge buildup can also happen when crankcase breathers are blocked or the PO ran if often for short amounts (and not revving the engine).

Dood! Score! That looks just like mine! I'm by NSCC, near northgate. I've seen one just like it in Ballard on market st. Possibly the same? Big guy with beard? What year? Wish mine had tailgate trim.

Edited by Yo'J

Dood! Score! That looks just like mine! I'm by NSCC' date=' near northgate. I've seen one just like it in Ballard on market st. Possibly the same? Big guy with beard? What year? Wish mine had tailgate trim.[/quote']

I picked this up on 175 and 15th..

rip the whole thing out and do a refresh - reseal job.

Sheesh, you guys are overreacting about a simple EGR problem.

I had that happen in my 85 BRAT.

Muck in the air cleaner and no where else.

Just unplug the largest hose on the driver's side of the air cleaner and see if

that fixes the problem.

If it does, then just pull the EGR and plug the hole.

If not you've got me stumped.

And I think I know that BRAT.

I believe that BRAT lived in a trailer park near me.

I drooled over it for many, many days.

Twitch