Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip II: TrashWagon's RETURN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, we're in the business now. I just purchased a carton of 100 miniDV tapes off eBay. I plan on using less than half of those for the shoot and will be able to sell the rest of them to my classmates and possibly get all my tapes for free, if not make a meager profit on the deal. I also picked up a top-of-the-line DC-to-AC inverter. We have some serious juice now.

All I need now are some lapel/lavalier microphones. Anybody have a line on those?

Also, keep looking for those junky camcorders.

We are T-minus 10 DAYS and counting, people. Excitement is in the AIR.

Miles; how are those sketches of your misadventures coming? The film/video department apparently wants my classwork in the form of a 10-minute short, so I plan to focus on telling the basic history of Who Is Miles Fox and the story of your last roadtrip first and foremost through your artwork, using interview footage for a voiceover narration. Don't fret, though. I'm doing an action-packed two hour documentary extravaganza. Very little can stop us now. Remember, as the good Doctor said, when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Also, see what we'd have to do to dig up all your various mugshots from your various arrests/incarcerations. I have an idea for a photo/story montage I'd like to incorporate.

-Tim Hansen

the local radio shack deals in cell phones, i wonder if they would have anything like that. if worst comes to worst, we can be creative wit the mic. somehing like a computer mic or a headphone ear piece, or even a mic salvaged from a tape recorder to be worn on a necklace?

next weekend we will be getting the RX prepped for the run, we can add a 12 V power source, connected to the stereo's AMP wire(switched) since the speaker box will be absent. o that way you can set up in back, ride in back, or not have it interfere with the front console as a functional area in driving

I am strongly thinking deebo on a Legacy amp and some mtx's!

....Oh yeah, it looks like the board knows how to find drama without you.....and it looks like it is all over that same damned delete button! When will these people figure it out!?

Josh!

things looking good. i made back my money i spent on bond, so no dent in out budget. i have some rendezvous along the way and back lined up, all is a go at this point. just have to get the car ready a little.

i got my plates renewed for both trashwagons, i will be bringing an INDIANA plate and registration, and ins papers for tw5

thanx for bringing this post back, much appreciated!!!:headbang:

all is good now. things are going according to plan

the RX no has a good trailing arm, a 5-lug from the trashwagon six. so we have a bum leg so to speak, with a legacy tire.

we tried a 13 impreza wheel with the RX tire, but the rim did not clear the XT6 caliper. so by this measure we took out hte rear axles to save the LSD.

we will bring the axles, and a rear disk 4-lug pieces, as we may come across a trailing arm along the way.

we mounted this van console on the ceiling, reverse mount, and a CB. on the back side is the dome lite facing out, a van light with a switch, and ambient light

also in back is a 12 volt plug in.

we had the headliner out to mount the ROOF RACK. we will be substituting CARDBOARD for a headliner, to spare the original. as the van console is temporary "unfinished" for the trip.

has anyone ever made a conversion wagon?

we carpeted the way-back, for comfort. all of the bulky soft luggage will go on top.

the RX has proven its reliability having over 5000 miles since the turbo MPFI on carb block swap, open timing belts, and no muffler.

it has seen back to back 1000 mile trips, weekends in a row.

we will pack minimaly, as when we see trashwagon 5, it will come with spare parts and axle tools. room in back will allow one full body lying diagonally along the driver side folded rear seat. camera equipment will go directly behind the passenger side rear seat. clothes, blankets, or food can go in the rear driver's corner

tire iron and plug kit will ride with the spare tire, oil between batt/alt. the jack stows in the rear quarter, towstrap in the other side, axles in the smuggler's box.

tools will be packed minimally, subaru survival kit:

12mm socket, extension, ratchet

7/8 crank pulley wrenchbox/open combo

17mm and 19mm wrench

3/16 punch

combo 12/14 wrench

10mm socket, and wrench

8mm wrench

screwdrivers(stock soob unit)

pliers(stock soob)

spark plug tool(stock soob, use with 7/8)

little pieces of wire, ties, and odd screws, razor blades, tape

this is enough tools to do the timing belts, with covers, and axles, anything short of the head gaskets

if we planned on doing the head gaskets we will bring also:

1/2 dr ratchet, 17mm socket and extension, torque wrench

14mm socket and extension for 3/8 ratchet

2 of us will have 400 bucks cash each, with atm access to other money if needed. this trip is pretty well covered for, the only thing i am not sure about is what kind of time we will make.

but we have a full week anyway....................................................

its coming down to the wire now. we got the key to the apartment, the RX is all fixed, trashwagon6 is a rolling chassis...

we will be leaving early in the morning on FRIDAY MAR 19. we will make our first stop 12 hrs later in minneapolis area

Here we go, boys. I'm heading off to class now (10:40), will be leaving Milwaukee at 1:00 PM directly. Might stop for groceries. Should be arriving in Butler at 6:00 PM CST, which is 7:00 PM your time.

My cell phone # is 262-325-0346, fyi.

We have fifty hours of DV tapes, we've got a full compliment of supplies, we are prepared.

Let's rock.

-Tim Hansen