Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lightest EJ based soobie for wheeler ???

cars101 should have all the weights, doesn't it?

early 2WD 2 door impreza is my guess. the early models were probably lighter than the later ones, not sure on years but the divide probably happens around 95. not sure what changes happened through 94-96 on these.

the OBS is the hatch back version and is far more functional and looks better, particularly off road. might be worth comparing weight to see how close it is.

it's really hard to nail down weights. they tend to list them in ranges, like 97 legos, 3150? - 3500?, or something similar. and this covers the L thru outback models.

when i checked, the imprezas were about 150 - 300 lbs lighter than the legos. but this is a very general guesstimate based only on my comparrison of listed weight 'ranges'. i was looking to see why they didn't offer the ej18 in the lego, was the weight the difference. 150 lbs isn't a lot of difference.

the 93 2 door impreza is your best bet, but for a couple of hundred lbs you could have the lego. of course FWD is lighter than AWD, but who cares......

that would be good as it would have the correct axles to fit a dual range tranny, would a EJ 2.2 work in there with that wiring?

good call - the 93 FWD's have that weird axle count.

yes an EJ22 will bolt right in place. the wiring and all is different so you'll install the EJ18 intake manifold on top of the EJ22. the Ej18 manifold is uglier and messier looking in my opinion but who cares. they are the same engines essentially, same timing component parts/kits.

the EJ18 will have dual port heads sand EGR so you'll want an EJ22 to match or just swap exhausts to single port (direct swap) and EGR as you want to match. that stuff is all easy to work around.

You'll be looking a long time for a 93 coupe, 95 was the first year for the 2 door.

95 impreza coupe is about as light as it gets. Mine was 2350 curb weight with 1.8 fwd. It had no abs and crank windows.

It's still under 2500 lbs with EJ20G and awd. I removed AC, PS,radio, sound deadening, airbags, bumper beams, extra wiring, heat shields, splash guards, fender liners, everything in the trunk and more.

My goal was to build the lightest awd impreza possible. I want to get it on a scale for an exact weight soon.

Edited by subaru360

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested in a similar body style as Scott has mentioned, probably not for extreme wheelin, but I want a more recent Sube with an EJ, add a dual range tranny. Plan to modify the fenderwells for some 30+ tires and a minimum lift. Move the rear axle back a couple inches or maybe the front forward if I can make it fit and try to fit the bigger tires without having to lift it much. Basic coupe without a lot of electrical options or weight. Mostly it will be used for a DD and some minor wheelin. If the tires are too big, I might just run it on the street in low range and avoid any too steep hills or mud bogging offroad.

Edited by Rollie715