Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clear ABS codes - Fixed (hopefully)

I couldn't even get the site to load 2 days ago, but it seems to be up today.

Like you said, hopefully this is was a temporary glitch.

I was able to follow your links, as well as going through the front door at www.endwrench.com

Unfortunately, what you are able to access is older info, limited to 2004. I had to search it to find the links I provided for you. The same info was at the following links, but see if you're able to access it:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IdentifyInfo.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ABS.pdf

Unfortunately, what you are able to access is older info, limited to 2004. I had to search it to find the links I provided for you. The same info was at the following links, but see if you're able to access it:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IdentifyInfo.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ABS.pdf

Yup, sure enough, the newer issues give a "403 Forbidden" message :eek:

Okay and now it gets bizarre :rolleyes:

I did some calling and found a sensor in town (about 40 miles away) and hopped in the car to pick it up.

ABS light is on the whole way.

Pull the sensor from a 96 Forester ($20) and head over to the Subaru dealership to have it checked out.

ABS light is on.

Sensor checks out fine ~1Kohm.

ABS light is on.

Go to the grocery store, pick up some stuff and head for the highway ...

ABS light comes on at start up then GOES OUT!.

ABS light stays out all the way home!!!! :banana:

I guess I just needed to threaten it?!?

Actually, I think that the cleaning I did yesterday may have fixed it, BUT, the initial drive was partly on gravel and was bumpy (about 3-4 mins, 1/2 mile) .... I wonder if this caused the ABS controller to not reset properly.

Either way, I now have a new sensor if it happens again. :)

congrats, glad you got it fixed.

next time it rains i'd suggest testing it in an empty parking lot. just to be sure.

I'll see if it holds the reset every time I leave my (gravel) driveway and drive the road (gravel) to the highway ... Or next weekend when I need to drive the highest pass in the Rockies - There'll likely be snow! :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the brakes worked good on the way home when a wild Turkey decided to cross the highway in front of me ... :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where the #6 terminal is located? Would like to re-set the light after a wheel bearing and hub was replaced. Light came on after that. So I would like to start with the light. Next I will make sure the ABS sensor is clean. Then who knows. Thanks...

Try this:

ABSdiagnosticconnector.jpg

It might be on the other side of the Steering Column like this:

ABSclearmemorycode.jpg

To clear the codes, with the ignition "Off", connect the Diagnostic Terminal then turn the ignition to "Run" without starting the engine and follow the instructions on the 2nd Picture.

Hope this helps.

Vic

Here's a list of codes in case you want to see what Codes are coming up:

ABS DTC list

11 – Start Code, DTC is shown after start code, Only start code is shown in normal

condition

Abnormal ABS sensor, open circuit or voltage too high

21 – front right ABS sensor

23 – front left ABS sensor

25 – rear right ABS sensor

27 – rear left ABS sensor

Abnormal ABS sensor, abnormal ABS sensor signal

22 – front right ABS sensor

24 – front left ABS sensor

26 – rear right ABS sensor

28 – rear left ABS sensor

29 – any one of four

Abnormal solenoid valve circuits in ABS control module and hydraulic unit

31 – Front right inlet valve

32 – Front right outlet valve

33 – Front left inlet valve

34 – Front left outlet valve

35 – Rear right inlet valve

36 – Rear right outlet valve

37 – Rear left inlet valve

38 – Rear left outlet valve

41 – Abnormal ABS control module

42 – Source voltage is abnormal

44 – A combination of AT control abnormal

51 – Abnormal valve relay

52 – Abnormal motor and/or motor relay

54 – Abnormal stop light switch

56 – Abnormal G sensor output voltage

Can anyone tell me where the #6 terminal is located? Would like to re-set the light after a wheel bearing and hub was replaced. Light came on after that. So I would like to start with the light. Next I will make sure the ABS sensor is clean. Then who knows. Thanks...

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled my sensor out of the front right wheel. I know the ring is good because I just replaced a new hub assembly. Really bad front bearing! I drove it a little too long. So looking at the sensor I see that is wore in the center. Looks like the bad bearing allowed the hub movement to damage the sensor. Big scratch near the center. So I'm looking to go to the wrecking yard. How hard is it to remove the sensor ( Iv'e already done that) and all the attached wiring? Looks like the wires go to a junction area in the wheel well? Thanks for any help or suggestions...captainkettel...

• 2 years later...

I found the harness and got the codes, there are three codes; 22, 24 & 28. I'm working on reset it. I looked at the front tone rings and they are worn, probably need to replace. I am thinking either replace all 4 tone rings or pull the fuse and driving with no ABS, any person had been thru this situation, all suggestions are welcome.

only problem with pulling the fuse (aside from no ABS) is that the light stays on all the time - have done this with my 90 Lego that had ABS that was acting very strangely.

I prefer to go without, than have something really screw up in an emergency - not to mention that I live in the salt belt - would not be a cheap, or easy, fix.

Yeah, I agree it is no easy way out. Dealer is asking for $800 for all 4 tone rings, not to mention possible need to replace the hubs/bearings if they are not in good condition after dis-assembled.

I still having difficulty re-setting the abs module, I tried connect and disconnect it 3 times in 12 seconds a few trials, but no luck; still showing the old codes. it is suppose re-set with ignition on or off?