Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Clear ABS codes - Fixed (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

I couldn't even get the site to load 2 days ago, but it seems to be up today.
Like you said, hopefully this is was a temporary glitch.

I was able to follow your links, as well as going through the front door at www.endwrench.com

Unfortunately, what you are able to access is older info, limited to 2004. I had to search it to find the links I provided for you. The same info was at the following links, but see if you're able to access it:
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IdentifyInfo.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ABS.pdf

#27 vic622

vic622

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Unfortunately, what you are able to access is older info, limited to 2004. I had to search it to find the links I provided for you. The same info was at the following links, but see if you're able to access it:
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IdentifyInfo.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ABS.pdf

Yup, sure enough, the newer issues give a "403 Forbidden" message :eek:

#28 vic622

vic622

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Okay and now it gets bizarre :rolleyes:

I did some calling and found a sensor in town (about 40 miles away) and hopped in the car to pick it up.
ABS light is on the whole way.

Pull the sensor from a 96 Forester ($20) and head over to the Subaru dealership to have it checked out.
ABS light is on.

Sensor checks out fine ~1Kohm.
ABS light is on.

Go to the grocery store, pick up some stuff and head for the highway ...
ABS light comes on at start up then GOES OUT!.

ABS light stays out all the way home!!!! :banana:

I guess I just needed to threaten it?!?

Actually, I think that the cleaning I did yesterday may have fixed it, BUT, the initial drive was partly on gravel and was bumpy (about 3-4 mins, 1/2 mile) .... I wonder if this caused the ABS controller to not reset properly.

Either way, I now have a new sensor if it happens again. :)

#29 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

congrats, glad you got it fixed.

next time it rains i'd suggest testing it in an empty parking lot. just to be sure.

#30 vic622

vic622

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

congrats, glad you got it fixed.

next time it rains i'd suggest testing it in an empty parking lot. just to be sure.

I'll see if it holds the reset every time I leave my (gravel) driveway and drive the road (gravel) to the highway ... Or next weekend when I need to drive the highest pass in the Rockies - There'll likely be snow! :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the brakes worked good on the way home when a wild Turkey decided to cross the highway in front of me ... :eek:

#31 captainkettel

captainkettel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Olympic Peninsula

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Can anyone tell me where the #6 terminal is located? Would like to re-set the light after a wheel bearing and hub was replaced. Light came on after that. So I would like to start with the light. Next I will make sure the ABS sensor is clean. Then who knows. Thanks...

#32 vic622

vic622

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Try this:
Posted Image
It might be on the other side of the Steering Column like this:
Posted Image
To clear the codes, with the ignition "Off", connect the Diagnostic Terminal then turn the ignition to "Run" without starting the engine and follow the instructions on the 2nd Picture.
Hope this helps.
Vic

Here's a list of codes in case you want to see what Codes are coming up:
ABS DTC list
11 – Start Code, DTC is shown after start code, Only start code is shown in normal
condition

Abnormal ABS sensor, open circuit or voltage too high
21 – front right ABS sensor
23 – front left ABS sensor
25 – rear right ABS sensor
27 – rear left ABS sensor

Abnormal ABS sensor, abnormal ABS sensor signal
22 – front right ABS sensor
24 – front left ABS sensor
26 – rear right ABS sensor
28 – rear left ABS sensor
29 – any one of four

Abnormal solenoid valve circuits in ABS control module and hydraulic unit
31 – Front right inlet valve
32 – Front right outlet valve
33 – Front left inlet valve
34 – Front left outlet valve
35 – Rear right inlet valve
36 – Rear right outlet valve
37 – Rear left inlet valve
38 – Rear left outlet valve
41 – Abnormal ABS control module
42 – Source voltage is abnormal
44 – A combination of AT control abnormal
51 – Abnormal valve relay
52 – Abnormal motor and/or motor relay
54 – Abnormal stop light switch
56 – Abnormal G sensor output voltage

Can anyone tell me where the #6 terminal is located? Would like to re-set the light after a wheel bearing and hub was replaced. Light came on after that. So I would like to start with the light. Next I will make sure the ABS sensor is clean. Then who knows. Thanks...

#33 captainkettel

captainkettel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Olympic Peninsula

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

I pulled my sensor out of the front right wheel. I know the ring is good because I just replaced a new hub assembly. Really bad front bearing! I drove it a little too long. So looking at the sensor I see that is wore in the center. Looks like the bad bearing allowed the hub movement to damage the sensor. Big scratch near the center. So I'm looking to go to the wrecking yard. How hard is it to remove the sensor ( Iv'e already done that) and all the attached wiring? Looks like the wires go to a junction area in the wheel well? Thanks for any help or suggestions...captainkettel...

#34 wateraeroplane

wateraeroplane

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • niagara falls, canada

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

I found the harness and two wires but the connector and two loose wires look kind of different from all postings, I need help, can someone shed some light. Its appreciated.
It's my 1997 Legacy L wagon.

Edited by wateraeroplane, 02 September 2012 - 01:53 PM.
update model

#35 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

Wrong set of connectors. Those are engine diagnostic plugs. The auxiliary systems diagnostic plug and ground pin wires are all black. The two ground pin wires are wrapped up in the harness with electrical tape and may need to be cut loose. You're in the right area though.

GD

#36 wateraeroplane

wateraeroplane

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • niagara falls, canada

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I'll go again.

#37 wateraeroplane

wateraeroplane

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • niagara falls, canada

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I found the harness and got the codes, there are three codes; 22, 24 & 28. I'm working on reset it. I looked at the front tone rings and they are worn, probably need to replace. I am thinking either replace all 4 tone rings or pull the fuse and driving with no ABS, any person had been thru this situation, all suggestions are welcome.

#38 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,738 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

only problem with pulling the fuse (aside from no ABS) is that the light stays on all the time - have done this with my 90 Lego that had ABS that was acting very strangely.

I prefer to go without, than have something really screw up in an emergency - not to mention that I live in the salt belt - would not be a cheap, or easy, fix.

#39 wateraeroplane

wateraeroplane

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • niagara falls, canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I agree it is no easy way out. Dealer is asking for $800 for all 4 tone rings, not to mention possible need to replace the hubs/bearings if they are not in good condition after dis-assembled.
I still having difficulty re-setting the abs module, I tried connect and disconnect it 3 times in 12 seconds a few trials, but no luck; still showing the old codes. it is suppose re-set with ignition on or off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users