Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not as cool as True2blue's speakers... but better than nothing.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

:lol: I was in the Off-Road area and saw True2Blues build thread and it reminded me of my speaker install on the 4Runner.

So, yesterday I was bored & had $10 to spare, so I stopped at Lowes and got some material to finally make panels on my 1/2 doors.

You can see here what I started with:
http://gallery.campk..._serialNumber=2

The previous owner cut diamond plate for one door, but not for the other. He gave me a sheet of diamond plate when I bought the doors, but I would rather use the plate for something else... so I removed it and decided to go with a thin sheet of plywood.

I removed the old diamond plate, and found a good spot to place the speaker. Its nice not having to worry about windows being in the way, or knobs or anything :)
Posted Image

I used the diamond plate i removed as a template and traced out a larger panel on the sheet of plywood. Then went at it and cut it out;
Posted Image

Posted Image

The fit was acceptable, so now was time to trace & cut a spot for the speaker.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There we have it, wired & screwed into place. My plans are to later find a fabric to cover the panel, then i will paint the doors to match. I am thinking of a black on grey, we'll figure that out later.

After all that work I figured I should take it for a test drive, and see if the new speakers can overpower the sound of 35" super swampers at 60mph. They do alright, but still not enough. When I am crawling they will sound great though :banana:

For my test drive, i took it over to my buddies place. He called me earlier and wanted my help with his truck... so i thought I could show off my work. While there, we did what we needed to on his truck & i talked him into welding some scrap tube I had to my bumpers.

Ive been kicking around the idea of adding a piece of tube to act as an arm rest... so I took some scrap we had from a failed project & cut it to fit my doors. Didn't take him long to buzz them in place, and here's the finished product :grin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to say I think I made the right decision. Having arm rests again is very nice, and it gives an added sense of security when traveling down the road.
I think next weekend I will go shopping for some materials and finish the panels & interior...

-Brian

#2 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

So how does that plywood hold up when you roll? Does it catch fire easily? I liked the diamond plate WAY better. But thats just because I like things to look good. :rolleyes:

#3 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

It will look good when its finished, and the plywood did catch on fire pretty easily when we were welding it.

#4 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

"IT WILL LOOK GOOD WHEN ITS FINISHED", and the plywood did catch on fire pretty easily when we were welding it.

i have been saying that for years very seldome is it true Roll Eyes

Rob.

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

Not all of us are naturals when it comes to booty fab.

#6 T'subaru

T'subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • T'sunami Coast WA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

So how does that plywood hold up when you roll? Does it catch fire easily? I liked the diamond plate WAY better. But thats just because I like things to look good. :rolleyes:

:lol:

#7 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

I dub thee rig THE PLYWOOD PRINCESS!!:lol:

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

I dub thee rig THE PLYWOOD PRINCESS!!:lol:

That's a whole lot of talk from somebody who had to bring their Subaru to the Moonrocks.. :lol:

#9 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:58 AM

Ok.... So I finally finished my doors. I found some old camping pads that I could canibalize, and some spare fabric from another project. So I cut the padding to match the panel, and wrapped it in outdoor canvas, then stapled it in place.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few coats of paint to clean things up a bit...
Posted Image

Panels installed... last step is to connect the speakers but I think im going to pull the stereo & re-wire everything before i can call the job complete.

Posted Image

-Brian

#10 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,152 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

doesn't your new armrest limit the usefulness of your half door?

#11 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Uhm... i can still see thru them :confused:

They are still 1/2 doors & work just the same. Just alittle more comfortable now.

#12 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Ok so they DID turn out ok-ish. The tube bar saved it though.:)

#13 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

doesn't your new armrest limit the usefulness of your half door?

I have to say I am with Mick on this one. They looked absolutely perfect...

right up 'til you put the bar in.

#14 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

The bar does not get in the way at all. And it's an added piece of mind when I have my girlfriends 11yr old daughter in the passenger seat.

#15 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

See through it, yea, but you can't lean out to get a better look at the wheels.

meh, I see both sides of the argument. I plan to do some full-tube doors for mine at some point.

nice work on the door cards, though!

#16 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

The bar does not get in the way at all. And it's an added piece of mind when I have my girlfriends 11yr old daughter in the passenger seat.

I understand, but it does take away from the cut out though. The idea is to lean out to get a better look at the tires and the line.

Don't let us talk you out of what is important to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users