Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my EJ25 from my 97 OBW has been sitting in my garage now for over a month since the swap. I swore I was going to tear it down and rebuild it but I don't have time. I'm trying to post it on CL but I have new clue what to ask for it.

The motor blew a headgasket at 148K. The repair was done very well (valves shimmed perfectly) and the car drove great. Apparently when the motor overheated it did a number on the main bearings because roughly 1000 miles after the HG repair, the motor started knocking. Before it got too bad, I pulled it and swapped an EJ22 motor in the car. During the swap, there were some parts that I used off this EJ25 that were bad on the 22 (I used an idler pulley, fuel psi regulator, and a couple vacuum lines. For the most part, this is a complete motor that is great for parts or a rebuild. This would be a great motor for someone who needs heads for an EJ25 - the heads are perfect. The motor is probably the cleanest motor out of a 97 car that 's available (only it knocks :-\ )

...ohhh and I live in western NC ...land of a million subarus.

ideas?

Yeah, I'm tempted to just pull the heads and sell them. Are we talking $50 or $350 ?? I looked all over and there's nobody selling an EJ25 with just a bad bottom end. Most of them have toasted heads, amongst other things.

yes they were machined. The guy who put the heads back together is about as good as it gets.

with rod knock it's basically worth scrap prices. unless you happen to find someone needing a particular part or heads. so many of us are sitting on bad blocks, heads, and blown headgasket EJ25's (i've got a bunch and know others on here have a bunch) - so there's a heavy supply, not much demand.

• 1 year later...
EJ 25s are Subie's Vega. Yhey must have been when GM had their finger in Subaru. Typical GM quality aka The American Yugo.

Actually that's not at all the case. The EJ25's are great engines if you take care of them and give them what they want - synthetic oil and occasional HG's. They will live a long happy life if you just follow their rules.

GD

Yup... I sold one for more than $100 as well :brow: I guess some rebuilders just have all the equipment to do any machining/turning/milling in-house, so they can make more than a few bucks even on engines that have spun a bearing.

The only thing they didn't want to take was the intake manifold. The guy who picked up the engine said they had too many of those.

My family has an outback with the ej25 in it. I was driving it years ago after I'd first gotten my license. I noticed the temp gauge was almost to the hot, but not to the line yet. Shut it off and had it towed to the shop who replaced the head gaskets. So that one was never overheated that bad, that's not nearly hot enough to hurt bearings.

That engine has around 190k on it now, and runs strong and happy.