Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 Turbo Ignition Timing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bigjim5551212

bigjim5551212

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:09 AM

On my 88 Turbo EA82, there appears to be no timing marks on the front pulley. There is a rubber cover on the back of the motor and I see the cast in pointer in the engine block. But for the life of me, I cant see any marks on the flywheel. I think the timing is ok, since it pings on boost on regular gas and it doesnt on premium.

Any comments?

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:14 AM

Your timing should be 20 BTDC.. the marks are on the flexplate(under that plug on top of the tranny).. turn the motor over by hand until you see them, they are there.. there's actually 2 sets.. one is just 3 lines.. don't use those.. they are for cam timing... the other set has numbers every 5 (?) degrees.. remember to plug in the green connectors under the dash when doing your timing.

#3 myossfeece

myossfeece

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • UPinAsubaruRX, INDIANA

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:34 AM

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

its 25 twenty-five degreees for TURBO

spfi ois 20 deg:o

#4 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 06 March 2004 - 09:53 AM

You are wrong I have two 88 turbos and they both say that timing is 20 degrees BTDC on the sticker under the hood.

#5 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:14 PM

85-86 Turbo is 25 degrees. 87 and later is 20. I didn't give the numbers for 85-86 because the guy who originally posted has an 88.

Myoss, My brutha.. Invest in an FSM.. they are full of all sorts of useful information.

#6 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 06 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

bump calebz

#7 myossfeece

myossfeece

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • UPinAsubaruRX, INDIANA

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:36 AM

hey calebz miles fox originally posted as me but I was there with him and we both said NOOO it is 25 deg btdc. But you were correct in your call. I wasn't aware of that and in a effort to prove you wrong I went out to jims garage and peeped his 88 full time turbo wagon and then in disbelief I went over to an 87 rx and proved myself wrong it is in fact 20 deg. btdc +/- 2 deg.

Good call, hey you learn somethin new every day!!

#8 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:45 AM

lol.. learnin is what its all about:D

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,187 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

jims car doesnt have the original hood, but anyway look there for ign timing if its original

sorry about posting under the wrong name(logout next time!)

i will investigate that myself, dam, where can i get an FSM?

#10 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:07 PM

i ran my rx on 25 deg.

#11 speedbump

speedbump

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • North Vancouver,Canada

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:18 AM

set my new engine to 25 deg and it pings like a sum b&$#% whe I punch it.Its a 1990,with an 86 harness and ecm.Set it to 20deg?

#12 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,187 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:27 AM

yeah 20 for later models

#13 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:23 AM

my 87 is supposed to be 20, but i have it a 15.

#14 NumberOneStunner

NumberOneStunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Mount Vernon, WA

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:57 PM

Now you've all got me curious cause I just revived my XT after a 2 year stay in Todd Martins field. The old motor was an EA82T in which i had blown a timing belt. When I replaced this (mind you that 2 years ago this motor was way over my head) I threw off the ign timing. Finally got it running, noticed it bogging down after a mile or so, started messing with the disty and subsequently blew both the ECU and the ignition module. I didn't know at the time anything about this car and subarus in general (hence the 2 year stay in the field). When all was finally said and done I swapped a MPFI N/A motor out of an 88 GL wagon into the car after I got rid of the 86 MPFI Turbo motor. As far as I knew the timing was 25 deg for my old 86 turbo motor so that's what I used but now the motor knocks even on premium pump gas. I was already going to dump a few degrees of timing to solve this but I was wondering what I did wrong. This would explain it. So 87 and after are 20 deg before TDC huh?? I'm gonna try it and see how it goes. Later guys.

#15 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:49 AM

I was caught in the bad info crew as well. the chilton book I used showed 25deg for my 87. but it likes the correct 20 deg much better.

#16 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

mine says 20
but i run it at 17-18 ish it likes it much better..
but i run 10 psi also
and cheap gas
in a few days no more disty w00t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users