Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Turbo Ignition Timing

On my 88 Turbo EA82, there appears to be no timing marks on the front pulley. There is a rubber cover on the back of the motor and I see the cast in pointer in the engine block. But for the life of me, I cant see any marks on the flywheel. I think the timing is ok, since it pings on boost on regular gas and it doesnt on premium.

Any comments?

Your timing should be 20 BTDC.. the marks are on the flexplate(under that plug on top of the tranny).. turn the motor over by hand until you see them, they are there.. there's actually 2 sets.. one is just 3 lines.. don't use those.. they are for cam timing... the other set has numbers every 5 (?) degrees.. remember to plug in the green connectors under the dash when doing your timing.

hey calebz miles fox originally posted as me but I was there with him and we both said NOOO it is 25 deg btdc. But you were correct in your call. I wasn't aware of that and in a effort to prove you wrong I went out to jims garage and peeped his 88 full time turbo wagon and then in disbelief I went over to an 87 rx and proved myself wrong it is in fact 20 deg. btdc +/- 2 deg.

Good call, hey you learn somethin new every day!!

jims car doesnt have the original hood, but anyway look there for ign timing if its original

sorry about posting under the wrong name(logout next time!)

i will investigate that myself, dam, where can i get an FSM?

• 4 months later...

Now you've all got me curious cause I just revived my XT after a 2 year stay in Todd Martins field. The old motor was an EA82T in which i had blown a timing belt. When I replaced this (mind you that 2 years ago this motor was way over my head) I threw off the ign timing. Finally got it running, noticed it bogging down after a mile or so, started messing with the disty and subsequently blew both the ECU and the ignition module. I didn't know at the time anything about this car and subarus in general (hence the 2 year stay in the field). When all was finally said and done I swapped a MPFI N/A motor out of an 88 GL wagon into the car after I got rid of the 86 MPFI Turbo motor. As far as I knew the timing was 25 deg for my old 86 turbo motor so that's what I used but now the motor knocks even on premium pump gas. I was already going to dump a few degrees of timing to solve this but I was wondering what I did wrong. This would explain it. So 87 and after are 20 deg before TDC huh?? I'm gonna try it and see how it goes. Later guys.