Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lights on top of vehicle... aiming question

for those of you with lights on top of your soobs, how do you have them aimed?

at what distance do you aim/set them. on my old wagon (MtnGriz) they were aimed straight out and higher than high beams while driving.

on Grizzly2 I have 2 sets, and I noticed I have them aimed way short, and off to the side. I figure one set I will leave off to the side to help spot deer....

Hi Mick. A month or so ago I was experimenting with the aiming of my roof mounted pencil beams. On straight roads I like having them aimed way out there but on windy roads the two super bright spots shining off into the woods can be blinding and actually make it harder to see. I tried aiming them down so they were shining more where my headlights aim and that didn't help. It just dialated my pupils and made it harder to see around corners. My driving lights weren't working that night and I really missed them since they do a good job of lighting up the sides of the road where the bambis lurk.

I'd say if it's do-able, add tons of lights like on rally cars. Or just add one set of good driving lights. Or add a set of dual beam lights (fog and driving in one housing.) Anything would be better than slamming another bambi.

Have you already converted the headlights to H4s?

Another year or so and HID conversions might even be affordable.

The 80/100 H4 bulbs definitely help. I bought the Eagle Eye brand lamps from JCWhitney for $14/each. They're good but the newer Pilot brand with parabolic style reflector seem to put out a nicer beam. They're $40/pair and probably worth it.

I have my spots angled "long range" down the road, and my smaller roof lights amed just beyond the shoulder of the road (not way off into the ditch) with all lights on, I get a constant swath of light that illuminates from 1/2 mile down the road to 10' off to the sides, and lights those critters in the ditches right up.

my four door had three 100 watt floodlights mounted to the roof rack. I pointed those strait ahead pointed just higher than the low beams, about same as the high beams. I could see like 1.5-2 miles away on a clear night, but in any rain, snow, or fog I was restricted to low beam headlights.

If they will be needed in adverse weather I would recomend mounting them on the bumper and keep em pointed low, around the lowbeams.

As far as alley light I also had two of those mounted sideways on the roof rack so the driver could look out either of the front windows and see the ditches, (stumps and logs when baja'n) and animals very well.

This was the 2wd auto to 4wd 5spd. d/r conversion, and I was left without reverse lights so I monted two fog lights on the anus of the car to a toggle switch and I will tell you they were the most commonly used lights. Somebody gets up on your anus with there bright on don't get mad, hit em with the reverse lights at highway speeds, and slow down. As they pass you then hit them again with the alley lights, and finally as they merge in front of you, you could always hit them with the floodlights. I was never that mean tho. The worst I had ever done was to a Ford f-something or other with bright on me. He learned quick about the reverse and alley lights.