Ultimate Subaru Message Board

info on someone's project

there are 2 ea81 wagons running around here in Bozeman MT. that have been brated. one is a 82 one is an 84. they are both cut just behind the B pillar and then they have the rear doors welded. ive only seen the 84 once, but i see the 82 running around all the time. even when its -20F outside real temp. the guy in the 82 says it flexes some but not bad and its cheeper then a brat. (50 bucks is what he has into it.lol

I remember a few more details. It was not at a dealership; it was being sold by an individual in Kentucky.

Also, it was not a wagon! It was a coupe. They basically just removed the hatch, welded in a piece of sheetmetal and window behind the front seats, and stripped out the cargo area and lined it with metal to make a truck bed. They also cut out and hinged the area between the taillights to make a tailgate. The project was a bit more sophisticated than what I described there, and looked VERY clean. Also, they didn't have many structural integrity problems because the only big part removed was the hatch- and they also welded in extra metal behind the seats.

i was surfing the usmb album and saw a whole collection of shots of an apparently well done light blue ea82 wagon with the back chopped to make a 4dr brat/baja job. Now I can't find them. I was gonna post a link but figured the guy was gonna reveal them himself and didn't want to spoil it for him.

i saw a 87 or so wagon driving through gresham, Or yesterday. it had the back cut off to make it a bed and they moved the rear hatch up right behind the rear seat looked real good from what i could see. it was also lifted. i would like to see some pics if anyone has some.

... until the board ate it, that is.

Had they used the bottom half of the hatch as a bottom hinged tailgate? How was the vertical 'B' pillar married to the slanted 'D' pillar?

Will be building one sometime this year. First to sell the Powder Patrol wagon, and after, find a good clean AWD/auto wagon with air, power everything and moonroof. Will ultimately want a mild lift, winch and a few other goodies to make it useful as a light pickup

ah well the moon roof is the reason i don't wanna cut up my turbo wagon just gonna use the motor out of it :)

it put all the roll bar and stuff back farther than i want it if i still want to be able to use the moon roof

and if i take it out well thats one more area i gotta sheet metal over

Originally posted by mtsmiths

about making a Rancheroo, or El Subamino, and when I posted the board said I wasn't logged on and ate the whole thing.

I'm p!ssed.

What do we have to do, write in word and cut and paste?

Uh, I would suggest logging in before you want to post. Seriously though. Most problems people experience here are caused by not being logged in. If you log in when you arrive you shouldn't have many problems, if any.

I log in when I come to visit, odderwise no can see da supahmahket, eh? Never know when the perfect Subaru will come along, desperation sale right in the next county ... course, BlueTrain is the onliest other member around, and he's TWO counties away.

It just ate my post. I did the preview, corrections, posted, and 'poof'. It told me to log in and the whold page was history, piled in some virtual jy somewhere in cyberland.

grrrrr.

I gotta ask, 'cause there's few old Subarus with roof holes up here in NW Montana. If the moon roof pops up, i'll just delete the retract mech, and cut the top off just behind the 'B' pillar ... if not, and it runs waaa-aaay - aft, I'll have to rethink. I want a longer bed than recreating an '80's Baja.

I'm gonna have to park my wagon against the sky and take a dead side-on pic, and see if I can use my digital camera program like photo-paint.

If so I'll post the results for comment. It WOULD be helpful if I could somehow learn to do a picture link ... they just NEVER work for me!

Hack PhotoShop, 'cause I don't HAVE PhotoShop and used the edit functions on my digital camera upload program.

But, that's what it WOULD look like, if it existed.

So, all you coasties that are finding the nice low mileage rust-free Subaru's out there, be ready. I'll be in the market as soon as we sort out the job changing going on right now. I GOTTA retire the powder Patrol wagon while it's salable and get my donor car to actually create the Rancheru.