Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am noobie Just brought this home tonight!

I thought that engine looked odd in there, but a Grnd National engine? That is going to be a blast. It was a good idea to do the 8.8 swap, I have one sitting in the shed, just haven't got around to putting it in anything yet. I have a few projects like that. :) I always try to keep the Subarus, the Merkurs and the Volvos alive.

Please look for any rust high up on the inner wheel wells. Right where the inner wheel well, the firewall and the cowl come together. With the amount of rust you have, I'm afraid you will find it there too and it's nearly impossible to effectively repair that area.

You have MANY good parts. I would search for a better body. But then again, if you have the time, money and determination, you are on the right track.

At any rate, thanks for sharing your projects with all of us!

If you run part needs...Give me a shout!

Best, Todd

I am trying to figure out where that is at in my mind. This I think is a fun little project to keep me busy. Don't know if I will keep it too long after its cleaned up. I don't want to take the dash out but after I get the floors in I might do that. Still need to fix the front caliper as it is sticking. That stuff is easy though get most of the major rust done and move to the mech stuff.:eek:

Please look for any rust high up on the inner wheel wells. Right where the inner wheel well, the firewall and the cowl come together. With the amount of rust you have, I'm afraid you will find it there too and it's nearly impossible to effectively repair that area.

Mine seems to be fine up there,despite the amount of rust ive had to cut out the front floorpans.....

Doesnt stop me running out and checking it everytime someone mentions it on here tho!! :D

The old pickup i stripped a coupla weeks agowas rotten there,i could put my hand up through the other side!!

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while but the deal is going down! I still am working on the pass side pan still at work but will finish tomorrow I hope.

Drivers pan before:

floordriversside001.jpg

After::headbang:

DSCN3075.jpg

I was going to rebuild the cross braces under the pans but I thought what would I do that when I can put these under there. :grin:

DSCN3076.jpg

12 Ga. Beefieness !!

DSCN3077.jpg

I figured if I wanted to jack the car or put brush guards on the sides these would be perfect. I will have to cut them down and prep them for some sealer But is should be good. I have the whole next week off and the floors are going in no matter what. I will also try and get to the engine bay and patch that one spot but will have to see if I have enough time for that.

All for now and Merry Christmas!!:cool:

Well I have to say I am little disapointed in my self for slacking off so much and not working on the pans for a week or so. I could have gotten more done so I would just take and weld in. So I will have to finish this up at home, which I really did not want to do. On a positive note I scored!

DSCN3094.jpg

Yeah was working on my pan and The guy who hired me 15yrs ago asked what I was going to coat it with. He said he had this stuff that coats rust and converts it and seals it. :brow: He said he had some I could use. 2.5 gallons to be exact!!

DSCN3096.jpg

All I can say is this brat is getting a bath in this stuff. I tried a really rusty scrap that I cut out. turned black with a hard coating on it and it dried pretty good. All for now better keep an eye out cause I will be posting every day I hope this next week and should see things move fast. :popcorn:

Got some done not as much as I would have liked. I had to take the welder apart and fix some hoses and the gun lead. Seemed to be not turning on the gas before the wire started. So fixed that and finished up the drivers door channel. If you can't tell I love before and after pictures. :P

Before:

DSCN2666.jpg

After:

DSCN3169.jpg

As for the Corroseal that stuff works great. I put a layer on there started to bubble then put the light on it for about 20 minutes and it hardened up really good black and shinny

DSCN3174.jpg

Also started to fab up the patch for that one little tricky

DSCN3173.jpg

I plugged some holes that I drilled through with the spot weld drill bit. I went to far so I had to patch those up.

DSCN3177.jpg

I am hopping to get the drivers pan in tomorrow. If not I will be behind dead line and will not get all I want to get done before my vacation is over. I spent prob hr or more just fitting it in there. It still needs prob more time on that.

DSCN3175.jpg

Almost forgot I had to cut out a section instead of filling the holes though I don't know if it took longer to put fresh metal in rather than patch. But I was getting a lot of porosity with the holes I was fixing and the metal was really thin.

its that patch on the left.

Before:

DSCN2665.jpg

After:

DSCN3171.jpg

All for today :D

Edited by waldoz

So I prepped the cross brace to get ready to weld in. I am having complaints about working to early in the morning so I have to do stuff that does not make noise. :banghead:

DSCN3183.jpg

Also got that other hole that had some rust in it.

DSCN3190.jpg

Mind you I was called into the house but I got it in and it all still needs to be cleaned up. I will prob do that after the other sides in.

DSCN3186.jpg

The back of the panel took more time than I wanted and it really needs to be sanded down a lot just like the other welds in the bay.

DSCN3187.jpg

Now if I can get the other pan in I will be on target to get the eng bay spot done.:clap: The other pan though is not as clean as the first and will take a bit more time to fit up. The good thing is I wont have to patch the back wall like I did on the drivers side.:brow:

Is anyone watching this thread anymore?

Edited by waldoz

Sweet its up. Ok had some problems with the coating. It seems the Corroseal really likes rusty rusty spots and not so much clean areas.

DSCN3196.jpg

It seemed to peel and crack and got to the point of flaking off. :horse:

DSCN3197.jpg

So I thought can't just leave it. So I took it all off :mad:

DSCN3195.jpg

That took some time but it was worth it. My friend at work gave me a can of:

DSCN3201.jpg

All I can say is this stuff is sweet. It tacks up in 15 min and dries in 16hrs I am prob going to do the whole in side with this stuff and the really rusty areas with the corroseal. Its not bad stuff it just needs something to stick to and smooth metal it does not like.

So painting it up, yes very messy.

DSCN3200.jpg

The results though are worth its weight in gold.

DSCN3202.jpg

So I was trying to figure out where I was going to have my paint line. I think just at the bottom of the back panel shelf and take it all the way around. I am prob going to do the fire wall but I will have to take out the whole dash and that is a spring project. Also cleaned up a lot of the welds but still need to do some more.

DSCN3204.jpg

Got started on the underside braces I think these are going to turn out really good. I actually got a tone done just a before 11 but so you don't get to see the full work till tomorrow. :brow:

DSCN3203.jpg

I just love this picture because the pans are in and Its not a Flintstones mobile anymore. :grin:

DSCN3194.jpg

All for now.