Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 roller rockers on dual port heads?

My search terms were a little too specific to bring up what I was after.

I'm getting nearer to building my frankenmotor, and although I built a super sweet single port UEL, I'd prefer the option of running a dual port head.

Am I able to bolt my SLA/roller rocker assembly onto a dual port head, or are the valves designed differently?

Yes it's a direct bolt-in. I have done it. You need to send Delta the 96+ cams for grinding the 1000 cam's though - the RR cams are made from stronger material and have to be finished differently. They can't use the 90 to 95 cams for that grind - has to be one of the RR variants (96 was RR and HLA while '97/'98 was RR and SLA).

GD

Since GD enumerates an EJ222 as a phase II, base Legacy and Outback Sport, my “tailgating” question to this thread is what are the characteristics of EJ223 as I found on my recent 99 Impreza Outback Sport Wgn, manual , (from the ID build plate)? Will this be roller rocker & SLA? Had a variable clatter coming from drivers valve cover, can’t wait to see what it is…Thx

Since GD enumerates an EJ222 as a phase II, base Legacy and Outback Sport, my “tailgating” question to this thread is what are the characteristics of EJ223 as I found on my recent 99 Impreza Outback Sport Wgn, manual , (from the ID build plate)? Will this be roller rocker & SLA? Had a variable clatter coming from drivers valve cover, can’t wait to see what it is…Thx

EJ223 is what I meant to say - sorry for the typo. All phase-II engines are RR and SLA.

The tendancy with all the phase-II engines is for the valves to get tighter not looser.... so not sure what your clatter is. Could be piston slap.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Ah yes, the Manual Adjustable rods are a dead give away. Now I forgot what my '95 had. Thought I remembered seeing adjusting nuts.

Doubt the 95 has SLAs because my 96 had HLAs. They didn't like really cold weather.

I know that engine I have a pic of up there is def a 97 or 98 because of the PCV and canister routing.

Definitely get the roller rocker cams from Delta. They sent me a set of flat tappet cams, and when I called to ask about the differences between those and the ones in my engine they told me the grind profile is slightly different between roller cams and the flat tappet style cam that came on the 90-94 and early 95 heads.

The cams will fit in the heads just the same, but you can only use them if you swap in the older flat tappet rockers. It will damage the cams and rockers if you try to mix styles.