Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any reason to get OEM timing belt stuff?

97 outback 2.5 4 cam engine. The dealership stuff comes to $635 or I can get aftermarket stuff (from CarQuest, which is maybe just a notch below Napa, but not nearly as low end as Autozone)for $360. Those prices both include a waterpump. Is there any reason to spend the extra money? I have been told the aftermarket stuff is fine.

97 outback 2.5 4 cam engine. The dealership stuff comes to $635 or I can get aftermarket stuff (from CarQuest, which is maybe just a notch below Napa, but not nearly as low end as Autozone)for $360. Those prices both include a waterpump. Is there any reason to spend the extra money? I have been told the aftermarket stuff is fine.

first, is that quote from your local dealership? Some online sources would probably be cheaper - like subarugenuineparts, maybe fredbeans, etc.

generaldisorder and some other experts here seem to have a good source on ebay. maybe they will chime in.

I got all genuine Suabru parts-three idlers, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and two drive belts for about $470. My view is that genuine Subaru parts are probably the highest quality, and more importantly, the most reliable. It's about $3,500 to have a dealer repair your engine if something in the engine timing path breaks.

It all depends on the present value of your car, and if you are willing to accept a possible element of additional risk to save some money. There aren't any statistics you can study to definitely say if OEM parts are more reliable than aftermarket parts. Genuine Subaru parts fail, and aftermarket parts fail, too. I had 105,00 miles on my Forester, and I went with my gut. My gut said go with genuine Subaru. But I can not say that someone who has gone with aftermarket parts has not made a good decision, as well.

I got all genuine Suabru parts-three idlers, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and two drive belts for about $470. My view is that genuine Subaru parts are probably the highest quality, and more importantly, the most reliable. It's about $3,500 to have a dealer repair your engine if something in the engine timing path breaks.

It all depends on the present value of your car, and if you are willing to accept a possible element of additional risk to save some money. There aren't any statistics you can study to definitely say if OEM parts are more reliable than aftermarket parts. Genuine Subaru parts fail, and aftermarket parts fail, too. I had 105,00 miles on my Forester, and I went with my gut. My gut said go with genuine Subaru. But I can not say that someone who has gone with aftermarket parts has not made a good decision, as well.

good post - pretty much how I feel. I'm saving money with my own labor, so I upgrade where possible, but never downgrade.

first, is that quote from your local dealership? Some online sources would probably be cheaper - like subarugenuineparts, maybe fredbeans, etc.

generaldisorder and some other experts here seem to have a good source on ebay. maybe they will chime in.

Yes from a dealership. I need the parts tomorrow, so I don't have the time to get stuff on-line.

How about we put it this way- has anybody ever here used aftermarket timing belt stuff, had it fail and regretted it? I suppose if a bunch of people on this board jumped up and said yes to that, it would influence my decision.

Asking the people I know around where I am, nobody has had a problem with the cheaper parts.

Yes from a dealership. I need the parts tomorrow, ...... I suppose if a bunch of people on this board jumped up and said yes to that, it would influence my decision.

If an overwhelming majority said yes, would you find the time to go aftermarket then?

O.

Yes from a dealership. I need the parts tomorrow, so I don't have the time to get stuff on-line.

How about we put it this way- has anybody ever here used aftermarket timing belt stuff, had it fail and regretted it? I suppose if a bunch of people on this board jumped up and said yes to that, it would influence my decision.

Asking the people I know around where I am, nobody has had a problem with the cheaper parts.

gotcha - you could price the same part numbers from on-line dealers (like subarugenuineparts) and ask if your dealership will match prices. I got a couple of items from my dealership that way. they matched one price and 'almost' matched another.

good luck!

carquest stuff is pretty good, especially if you go with their world pack line...its OEM stuff with out the suby badge on it.

What I do is order most of my stuff from here its all NSK, NTN, & GMB which is all suby stuff...once in a while I get a crappy belt, (as in no marks, or poor quality) and will toss it, and buy a suby belt. Some times the belt marks will be a tooth off in one direction or another, so then I have to do the whole tooth count thing, but it still works.

I buy their engine re-seal kits as well, but ditch the head gaskets and buy OEM ones. Still the price of all the other stuff including the 100 bucks or so for OEM gaskets is still no where what it cost to buy it all from the dealership.

Also try these:

Timing belt pro

Import Experts

hope this helps

I use:

NPW Water Pumps.

Mitsuboshi Timing Belts.

Koyo and NTN idlers.

NTN tensioners.

The rest really doesn't matter as long as you install it properly.

The only things I buy from the dealer are head gaskets, thermostats, and some select other gaskets and most of the hoses. Upper/lower radiator and water pump bypass, etc. I've found the aftermarket molded heater core hoses are a good fit and a better bargain. The radiator hoses not so much and I've tried every brand out there for the water pump bypass and they all just suck by comparison to OEM.

I wouldn't touch a Carquest or NAPA part to save my life (let alone Autozone! I wouldn't even step foot in that horrible place). Not for a Subaru. Both are dirty, dirty words in my shop. I deal with an import parts supplier that has long-time employees that know their business. My rep has been there for 8 years and will bend over backward for me and my customers. I have never had a single failure or issue with the parts I get from them.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

OEM idlers are NTN and NSK. You can order a set of these from TheImportExperts for about 1/3rd the price of dealer parts, and they're the same thing, just without the Subaru logo on the box. They also sell Mitsuboshi timing belts, which are the OEM belt. I'm not sure if they sell the OE brand water pump,(pretty sure it's Aisin) but pull the right strings at the dealer and you can get the OE pump for around $70 or $80.

Or if you wait a few days, you can order a kit from Mizumoauto on eBay with an Aisin water pump, NTN and NSK bearings for about $170 shipped. It comes with cam and crankshaft oil seals as well.

I put isheno head gaskets on that came with an engine rebuild kit from world pack and am very pleased, so far. has anyone had problems with these?

I only go to autozone, oreillys, napa if I really need something simple no one else has and only for temporary purposes. example my mom snapped her timing belt and having an interference engine we went to napa got the cheapest one and put it on to test the engine it worked so we got a world pack or volvo belt, swapped, and she was good to go.

my wake up call about napa was one day I was looking for an oil filter and I asked about there napa line of parts.... I asked about the top of that line and was handed the box to look at. the box did not say where it was made but the filter sure did MEXICO. so there top of the line is made in mexico.... hm.... I was running lubromoly from Germany at the time in my old impreza and didn't think it was right to put German oil through a Mexican filter, JMO LOL.

I have also heard that anything concerning the water cooling system should be subaru genuine ie thermostat, gaskets, even the coolant. I am currently running off brand antifreeze but put the subaru coolant conditioner with the magic sealant. I even have an official dealer radiator cap.

I have to say from what I ordered from http://www.subaruparts.com I would recommend them highly. all parts were in great condition and were delivered very promptly. I saved over $100 on duty c solenoid, clutch pack, and gaskets over the dealer price.

Upper/lower radiator and water pump bypass, etc. I've found the aftermarket molded heater core hoses are a good fit and a better bargain. The radiator hoses not so much and I've tried every brand out there for the water pump bypass and they all just suck by comparison to OEM.

Glad I saw this. I was about to buy some Dayco radiator hoses.

Or if you wait a few days, you can order a kit from Mizumoauto on eBay with an Aisin water pump, NTN and NSK bearings for about $170 shipped. It comes with cam and crankshaft oil seals as well.

I paid $142.50 shipped from Mizumo for a kit that came with an Aisin pump, Mitsuboshi belt, idlers, and cam and crank seals. Would have been $15 less, but I wanted to upgrade to the Mitsuboshi belt.