Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, put my timing belt from eBay (mizumoauto) on my motor... Used their timing marks, and they all lined up correctly... put the tensioners on and everything and STILL was lined up...

Put it in the car and had to hand crank the motor until the clutch stuff lined up... now, its off teeth... even fully cranking the motor a few times...

How did this happen?

Can I adjust the timing belt without removing it and having to compress the tensioner again?

How did this happen?

it happened because there are an uneven number of teeth between the top side of the sprockets, and the bottom side of the sprockets - as long as everything was lined up correctly at the start, and after installing the tensioner, dont worry about it.

Yeah charge it again. Lead acid batterys do not hold a charge for very long when sitting idle, even if they're in good shape. A weak battery can lose a charge in just a few hours. Marginal could mean a few days. But if used every day the battery may still work fine for several months or years.

Battery is on the charger... lets hope that works...

Pictures to go with my questions about electrical plugs:

The plug that comes off the alternator plugs... looks like it goes somewhere, but unfortunately I think it goes to A/C which this Legacy (BASE) never had... but does it really just chill out there....?

Questions-AltPlug.jpg

How about these? In the rear passenger part of the engine bay there are two plugs, seemingly a male and female electrical ends... they dont go together though... but I cant seem to find what they DO go to... though I got my O2 sensor plugged in... which will probably throw a code haha (theres got to be a reason it was unplugged to begin with)

Questions-Rearplugs.jpg

Heres a daytime picture of the motor in... Its got oil in it, the clutch is hooked up and feels great, probably needs some adjusting still though. No coolant, gotta get new hose clamps for the heater core hoses.

Motorisinstill.jpg

Al of those plugs are AC related I think. The plug at the front would be for the compressor clutch I think.

That back corner is where the Accumulator/filter drier would live if the car had it, and the low pressure switch is right on top of that.

There is also some other gadget over there that has to do with cruise control IIRC. Which it appears you also don't have.

re: starter,

it could be a simple as replacing the solenoid contacts. pretty common problem, not hard to do and only costs ~$20.

what does it do when you turn the key?

have you tried to push start the car?

of course if you push it down the street and it does not start you have to push it back.

Edited by johnceggleston

We pushed it backwards and it attempted to fire, then pushed it back into the driveway.

RE: what it does

Start to crank you get a single TICK

Stop cranking get another TICK but nothing inbetween (though I can hear the fuel pump) its gonna SMELL awesome when it starts haha :Flame:

Going to get a OEM used from a place for about $35 and replace the contacts for about $10 and throw it in.

Went to autozone with this one and it PASSED their test... but it fooled their test... starter gear extends, but it doesnt turn... this is my fault, when I pressure washed the engine bay, water must have gotten in the gear and froze it/rusted it

If it got wet inside the magnets that surround the motor might have rusted and fallen off of the case and jammed against the rotor. Smacking the motor with a hammer can cause the same thing.

They're not hard to take apart though and see, good luck getting the rotor out of the can though. :-p