Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt theory

I have just replaced my timing belt last month. II also replace all idlers , seals etc.  got the belt  from Rock auto , good price , I have used budget timing belts in the past no problems . . this one  lasted 1400 miles . and the belt broke while idling in the driveway .  while inspecting the broken belt it looked dry rotted .  my theory is. rock auto sells surplus inventory from other suppliers. if this belt was sitting on a shelf for 15 years could it be that the rubber is broken down in such a way as to make it fail early .  my solution is a brand new gates timing belt . this is the second time that a rock auto surplus belt has failed me in a short time .. is there anyone else that have had this problem ???  

i think you're close to the mark, the compounds definitely degrade and EA series timing belts were never that stellar to begin with.

if any oil or coolant gets on them that degrades them very quickly as well, i've seen fluid saturated belts break in a matter of months....a smaller amount of fluid would take longer but still degrade the belt.

• Like 1

Rock auto sells all the same exact parts available at any other auto parts store.  They are a great resource for many people - random comments to avoid them aren't helpful, you should probably clarify your issues in another thread.

Part of the responsibility is on the buyer - make informed choices.  You can search brands and cross reference part numbers...if something seems ambiguous, unknown, or different - don't buy it.

They also make additional unknown/lesser known products available - tread carefully.

For folks with time, capacity, experience - buying from Rockauto is a great option.

All auto parts stores are simply distributors - none of them make anything, so they're all selling the same stuff.  It's not like there's a secret manufacturer that only supplies to rock auto.  of course there's variations of close outs, buy outs, and surpluses, and rock auto has a weak and confusing parts selection catalog - etc and you should probably purchase carefully if you're buying the cheapest product available on ebay or rock auto....but you have some decision in that.

I generally look at rockauto and avoid if there's any question....but simply crossreferencing to another national chain, amazon, ebay easily tells you if it's the same part.

• Like 2

Subaru parts are by far the best but are pricey but you cant go wrong with factory parts. Took me 6 beck ardly ball joints before i got one that was made in japan and of 6 every single one was different and made in difernt place rebox parts companys suck ! like a box of stale choclates never know whos parts your gona get

I bought the timing belt kit off of ebay... like $75.  It's on my boy's ea82.   Over 10,000 miles now with no problems.

Make sure you replace both tensioners and the cogged idler when replacing belts.

I've usually had good luck with Rock Auto.  But recently, I order a left and a right tie rod end for my ea81.   I received 2 lefts.   So I called them and decided to order 2 rights... so I would have an 'extra' set of tie rods.  Well, they sent 2 lefts again.   The part # is correct (says it's for the right) but the part is actually a left.   Soooooo, I called them and told them the story...they agreed to send 2 rights at no charge...duh!   Well, I again received 2 lefts.    So now, I have 6 lefts.   And have paid for 4 of them... when originally I only want a right and a left and pay for same.  So I'm into it for double the money, and still have no rights.

I will call them later today.... not sure what I want to do though.  Maybe give me a refund on the 4 I paid for and send all 6 lefts back?  Then order from Subaru...

Rock auto sells all the same exact parts available at any other auto parts store.  They are a great resource for many people - random comments to avoid them aren't helpful, you should probably clarify your issues in another thread.

Part of the responsibility is on the buyer - make informed choices.  You can search brands and cross reference part numbers...if something seems ambiguous, unknown, or different - don't buy it.

They also make additional unknown/lesser known products available - tread carefully.

For folks with time, capacity, experience - buying from Rockauto is a great option.

All auto parts stores are simply distributors - none of them make anything, so they're all selling the same stuff.  It's not like there's a secret manufacturer that only supplies to rock auto.  of course there's variations of close outs, buy outs, and surpluses, and rock auto has a weak and confusing parts selection catalog - etc and you should probably purchase carefully if you're buying the cheapest product available on ebay or rock auto....but you have some decision in that.

I generally look at rockauto and avoid if there's any question....but simply crossreferencing to another national chain, amazon, ebay easily tells you if it's the same part.

This is dead on.

I work at an auto parts store. We use RockAuto ALL the time for reference. Best listings anywhere, if you use your head a little while using them.

They are, however, a large network of distributors and warehouses. It's highly likely that you will get some NOS stuff that's been around awhile. Of course, this is possible anywhere. We ordered a pair of CV axles for my friend's '88 VW Scirrocco at work and the boxes looked like they're at least 15 years old.

Heck, I've gotten some ancient packaging ordering straight from the dealer.

My point is, it's absolutely possible. And I don't think there's a reliable way to prevent that entirely. RockAuto probably has more turnover than almost any other source, but they also probably have more inventory. Smaller sources might have fresher inventory, but they also will have less turnover, so there's just as much a chance of getting something that's been sitting around awhile.

One thing I will say, is always inspect your products thoroughly when you receive them, and if anything looks fishy, don't bicker and badmouth on the internet CALL THEM. RockAuto has excellent customer service, and if they sent you something wrong, be it a human error, catalog error, shipping error, etc. In my experience (I've ordered from them probably 30 times or more) they will go way out of their way to make it right. 

I bought the timing belt kit off of ebay... like $75.  It's on my boy's ea82.   Over 10,000 miles now with no problems.

Make sure you replace both tensioners and the cogged idler when replacing belts.

I've usually had good luck with Rock Auto.  But recently, I order a left and a right tie rod end for my ea81.   I received 2 lefts.   So I called them and decided to order 2 rights... so I would have an 'extra' set of tie rods.  Well, they sent 2 lefts again.   The part # is correct (says it's for the right) but the part is actually a left.   Soooooo, I called them and told them the story...they agreed to send 2 rights at no charge...duh!   Well, I again received 2 lefts.    So now, I have 6 lefts.   And have paid for 4 of them... when originally I only want a right and a left and pay for same.  So I'm into it for double the money, and still have no rights.

I will call them later today.... not sure what I want to do though.  Maybe give me a refund on the 4 I paid for and send all 6 lefts back?  Then order from Subaru...

Call them. If they sent you the part number that's listed as correct, but it isn't. This isn't RockAuto's error, this is a manufacturer/catalog error. Tell them exactly what you just posted, and I bet you'll get exactly what you need. If that happened to one of MY customers, I'd refund 2 of them, and exchange all of them for 2 of a better brand (so you'd end up paying for one pair, and getting a better pair).

I .  So I'm into it for double the money, and still have no rights.

that's unfortunate and really annoying i hear you...but it's part of the biz - if you ruled out every supplier for a mistake you wouldnt' buy from anyone if you were me.  i work on lots of cars but do it myself, i'm not a shop with an account so my sources vary wildly and have had a mistake from every single vendor available...all the subaru online vendors have made mistakes...sent me the wrong part, charged me for expensive SVX sensors i've never ordered, forgot to ship.....and advance auto parts, rock auto...i could tell gobs of stories.  would you like me to recount every mistake i've had so you can write them all off your list?  there will always be mistakes, doesn't matter who you use.  the more work you do the more mistakes you'll see, it's just a cost that's going to happen.  i just get better at purchasing online or preparing ahead, and if i have a question i go to the dealer locally and do it if i can't afford any hassle or time delay on a given project.

Tru 'dat.  RA has been good about making the order right.   It's a mis-labeling problem at the warehouse.  They think they are sending rightside tie rods... but when they show up at my doorstep, they are leftside.

Today, I sent them pictures of a left and right side.  Hopefully, they will forward those pics to the warehouse/shipping manager and have him visually verify that what they are sending is actually a rightside.

If not, then I'll just NASCAR my Subie.   Meaning... drive fast and turn LEFT.     Just need to weld up the right side... Ha!

PS... to the experts ... I know this won't work... but it's funny!

For Sale:  Left side Tie Rod Ends for ea81.  How many do you want?

I love rock auto . kyb shocks are the same no matter where you buy them . my only question is if it was probable that if a timing belt sat for many years if it would derade . I actually replace the timing belt with a gates timing belt ..from rock auto :)  i didnt intend to  say that rock auto is bad .

Edited by ivantruckman