Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How badly was it overheated, did it just stop running from being over heated or did you see the gauge redlining and shut it off.

That can make a huge differance.

How long did you wait to restart it?

By "symptoms spark, fuel, compression" do you mean you are missing all of those?

I don't see how a scanner can say there's no compression, that purely mechanical. You should manually check for compression, it should be at least 120-180, if your getting lower compression than 120 then I would check the timing belt timing.

Edited by mikaleda

um can we all get past English 101 and get back to helping Judy in Tampa? Sounds like a lot going on here spark fuel compression any issue or which would be the cause for your non-start. I have seen so many head gasket failures up here in N Michigan that I would lean toward that assumption. I recently had a 304 code, misfire in the # 4 cylinder, be a lead in to a head gasket failure. Coolant was leaking into the combustion chamber causing the misfire but the car was still running well for a few days until it eventually overheated. Now if you had a catastrophic failure and you had coolant leaking into all the cylinders you would get no spark and no combustion. Just my 2 cents hope my grammer diction and punctuation were sufficient to pass.

cooled it down drove home unable to start since overheating pocket scanner showed no codes except...spark..fuel..compression

Not enough information....

First off - we need to know how hot did it actually get...

1. Did the gauge peg out & the motor quit running?

2. Or, did you notice it was getting hot and YOU shut it down?

3. Does fuel get to the engine?

4. Is there spark?

5. Compression - did this get checked manually?

these are all yes/no questions...

• Like 1