Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horsepower vs gearing vs Tires and lift

Can't be an EA82 with OHV (overhead valve)

EA82's were OHC (overhead cam) motors only.

Is it a slant back like a fastback or a curved back like a traditional hatchback?

If it has a 4 speed, then its most likely a standard hatchback and that's the transmission that came in it.

Yes, hatchbacks came with 4wd transmissions too.

If you're going to work with us on this car, you need to forget traditional 4wd setups.

The 82-87 BRAT, 80-89 Hatch, 80-84 Wagon/Sedan/Coupe all share the same axles, aside from turbos.

Twitch

Thanks for Sharing those Photos.

The engine is Not an EA82, it could be an EA81 (1.8L) or an EA71 (1.6L)

If you wanna be Sure, look at the engine Block, Below the Carb & intake,

There should be the Engine's name Emblazoned.

To gain more power To move those massive tires on that Subie,

I Suggest to do the Famous "EJ Swap" 

Kind Regards.

The 28" tires look nice on it. I would look for the dual range transmission and get a set of 195/75-14 tires. I know BFG still makes an offroad tire in that size!!I had a set of Cooper 195/75-14 all terrain tires years ago but pretty sure they don't make that one anymore. The Weber may give you 3hp but that is about it and only on a good day. You would gain more with a 2" exhaust and a turbo oval muffler, like a Magnaflow.

Yah I'm working on a full exhaust only had the catalytic to work with when I got it as it was chopped out. Have a 2 inch thrush muffler now and yah that helped for sure. Crazy power gain still gotta get the rest of the resonators a a few mandrel bends and call it good. So I have an ea81 then? It is a 1.8 ohv I know that much. So what year gear box should I be on the hunt for? Because if it bolts right in id quite happy with that kind of ease. I'm pretty good at finding the parts I need for this rig so far gear box shouldn't be hard as long as I know what I need which is usually the struggle.

I'm guessing you have a "fat case" EA71 engine paired with a single range 4x4 transmission.If the car came with a EA81 your car would already have the 4 speed dual range 4x4 transmission.On the block near the front of the engine on the passenger side should be a stamped tag that will tell you what the engine is, IE EA71,EA81..

So the first thing you can do is swap in a dual range 4 speed transmission,It has a low range gearset that will help turn those tires.It will just bolt right in.

Another thing you can do is swap in an EA81 engine and 4 speed dual range transmission.If you indeed have an EA71 swapping in a EA81 will give you 10-20 HP,that with the low range gearing will make it almost a completely different vehicle.

Just check that tag on the front of the engine before you get a new engine.

Finally you can swap in a 5 speed DR from a EA82(OHC).It is stronger than the 4 speed and weighs less,It also has a lower low range (1.46 VS 1.59) and has an extra gear.It requires the EA82 flywheel and starter and clutch assembly.That flywheel is slightly larger than a EA81 flywheel so the engine side of the bellhousing needs to be trimmed slightly to give clearance,put the Ea82 flywheel up to  the EA81 engine and you see where you need to grind. Other than that it bolts up to the engine,the transmission mount is different and will need to be modified.

We'll thanks. Uber. Turns out its a an ea81. So maybe it's on its 2nd transmission?

The body style is considered "ea81" unofficially anyhow, since most of these era cars came with that engine when the body was introduced.

BUT, the "DL" or base model hatches, While called an "EA81 Hatch" body type, used a EA71 engine, with a single range 4wd.  This is the "fatcase" EA71....which other than stroke is about identical to the EA81 so you may need to order somethings like Oilpump/seals and belts and such as if it was an EA81.

Tell you what, look at the top/front of the engine, just below the Distributor.  There will be a stamping on the bolck that says either "EA71" or "EA81"  This will tell you for sure.  But to me it's doubtful someone would have swapped "in" a single range trans......ussually the opposite is the case.  So it would make the most sense that the car started life as a 1600, single range "standard".

Either way, you can upgrade to a dual range 4spd or 5spd.  I believe (not entirely sure) though you're flywheel will be too small(200mm/ 7-7/8") for either dual range clutch setups'(225mm/ 8-7/8"), so you;ll need a flywheel and clutch too.

As some of us already asked you...

... look at the engine Block, Below the Carb & intake,

There should be the Engine's name Emblazoned ...

... look at the top/front of the engine, just below the Distributor.  There will be a stamping on the bolck that says either "EA71" or "EA81"  This will tell you for sure. ...

...Why don't you post a Photo of said area of the engine's Block

and let us be completely Sure about what kind of Engine your Subie has?

Also, I'll Like to Know how did you installed such big Rims & Tires there,

any Photos and Details?

Kind Regards.

Much of your problem is that you are still running the OEM carb.

Swapping to a weber with a good tune will provide you with loads more torque, down low int he RPMs, right where you need it.

A dual range swap would be a good idea as well.  4 speed or 5 speed.  The 4-speeds are not terrible, but they do have some issues.  The biggest reason to go to a 5-speed is the deeper low range gearing.  The difference is pretty big.

Yah I'd rather go 5 SPD with those lower gears. I need them for the tires.

I'm gonna find a ej22 engine soon too that got decided today so I can give my engine to a friend with a Morris miner. A 4spd will work with a ej right?

If you're swapping in an EJ22 (EJ22's are SOHC, way better than any of the DOHC motors until the WRX engines) I'd recommend getting a 5 speed. 4 Speeds break with just EA81's in front of them (ask me how I know :rolleyes::burnout: ) So the 5sp d/r (short for 5 speed dual range) will be way more suited to taking the power.

Plus if you're already making an EJ fit in there, its not much more to drop in a 5sp.

The only thing to look out for on the 5sp d/r's is that the 85's had a different gearing setup than the rest of the years (ask me how I know about that one :dead: )

And you'll have to get a custom driveshaft as none of the driveshafts for the 5sp d/r's will fit properly in your car.

If you have any more questions, ask away.

Twitch

Yah I'd rather go 5 SPD with those lower gears. I need them for the tires.

I'm gonna find a ej22 engine soon too that got decided today so I can give my engine to a friend with a Morris miner. A 4spd will work with a ej right?

I'd kind of like to see a Morris with a Suby motor in it! Make sure if it happens, we get to see it in the forums!

BTW -This thread is seriously jacked!

sounds like you have an odd ball ea81single range. I never heard of one until i met this guy on craigslist who had a bunch of subie parts. i bought a tranny thinking it was dual range until i noticed it didnt have the secondary lever going towards the bell housing.

i actually used an old dual range that was roached and transfered the single range gear assembly.post-49100-0-15338100-1380006488_thumb.jpg

the gear ratio in the single range is slightly lower. it took some careful bearing sleeve removal but the gear assembly interchanged fine and now i have a lower geared dual range...downfall is im at 400rpm doin 60 with the small tires. upside is car pulls my 26''tires with ease. i just popped off the spedo needle and set it at 10mph bottom out so it reads somewhat accurate

like a mountain goat on trails but struggles a little on steep highway hills.

Well the thread is for the options of horses vs gearing. So maybe it strays a bit off topic but it's alright. My cars just a weird setup so I need answers on more than I thought. So ej22 swap for hp. Dual range 5 SPD for gearing so I don't rape my current transmission. Sweet give me a month for cash and I'll probably get all the parts and get this rig crawling up trails like a jeep