Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1978 Subaru Brat. From death to life and everything in-between

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#126 djcommie

djcommie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

I'm glad that stuff got there in one piece, I was concerned that it that stuff made it 35 years untouched only to be damaged by a careless shipper. Like I said, I'll keep you updated on what I do with my A/C setup to get it working, maybe I can order a second set of A/C hoses when I get mine made. 

#127 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Just refreshed a set of original rear bucket seat, seat belts. Refreshed and installed:

Untitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Things left to do:

1. BRAT side sticker

2. Take it to my interior guy, have him fix the Headliner, and Shift Boot. (The head liner didn't hold 100% and needs to be fixed in 1 spot. The Shift Boot doesn't stay put in the floor. Need to have that addressed.)

3. Either put ERA-specific Air Conditioning or Brand New Aftermarket Air Conditioning. (Maybe Restomodair.com)

#128 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

Re-adjusted the tow hitch last night. Needed to space it out and angle it down slightly so it wouldn't come into contact with the tail gate (when the gate was dropped). Cleaned up the nuts and bolts, and customized a piece of flat unistrut to space out the distance. Works perfectly.

I've got a call into my upholstery guy, who will be fixing the headliner, and shift boot.

Things left to do:

1. BRAT side sticker

2. Take it to my interior guy, have him fix the Headliner, and Shift Boot.

3. Either put ERA-specific Air Conditioning or Brand New Aftermarket Air Conditioning. (Maybe Restomodair.com)

4. Repair steering wheel, Wrap steering wheel with Black perforated leather wrap.

#129 djcommie

djcommie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold my shift boots in the floor, it worked great and isn't so strong that I couldn't remove them with some acetone on a q-tip.

edit: the original AC stuff I sent you has everything to go to the little vents on the ends of the dash and lets you do hot defrost with the A/C, something one of those under-dash evaporators wouldn't ever do.

Edited by djcommie, 11 November 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#130 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold my shift boots in the floor, it worked great and isn't so strong that I couldn't remove them with some acetone on a q-tip.

edit: the original AC stuff I sent you has everything to go to the little vents on the ends of the dash and lets you do hot defrost with the A/C, something one of those under-dash evaporators wouldn't ever do.

Where specifically did you put the glue? The boot has a small lip that slips under the hole on the transmission tunnel. Did you put glue on the top of the lip of the rubber boot? Or did you let the boot only sit on top of the transmission tunnel and put glue on the underside of the boot?

#131 djcommie

djcommie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • San Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Top and bottom actually, heating up the boots made the glue set faster as well as kept them from pulling out of the metal floor.

#132 AnotherGL10guy

AnotherGL10guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Bellingham, Washington

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

this is an amazing trip! nice brat, nice work and thanks for sharing!

#133 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Very nice cache ya got there!

#134 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

this is an amazing trip! nice brat, nice work and thanks for sharing!

Very nice cache ya got there!

Thanks guys. It's been a lot of fun so far. I'm always on the look out for parts.

:)

#135 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,146 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

Now you have to find a set of rear seat belt covers or get some made since they're near impossible to find.

#136 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

Now you have to find a set of rear seat belt covers or get some made since they're near impossible to find.

Seat belt covers? Oh why did you have to inform me of such a thing. Now I'm going to spend hours looking into that.

To save me some time, could you elaborate, show me original documents or photos that show what you are talking about? (so I can try to get a set lol)

#137 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,146 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

Took forever to find a picture of them but here they are http://www.lotnut.co...c2-250aacc61e26

1-large.jpg

#138 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Took forever to find a picture of them but here they are http://www.lotnut.co...c2-250aacc61e26

1-large.jpg

Ah, thanks for the photo. I'm sure I've actually seen that before (now that I see it). Good luck finding a pair, let alone a pair in nice shape. I bet I could have my upholstery guy whip up a couple sets. Do you think there would be any interest? Maybe $25-30?

#139 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,146 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think there would be since not everyone runs with a canopy on all year. Once water gets in the belt retractors they start rusting away and won't work right. I know I would be interested in a set.

#140 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, I still haven't put my seat belts in just for that reason, and I still need one of the pieces the slips into the buckle. I never knew such a thing existed! My wife's best friend sews (has a nice machine), bet she could whip me up something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users