Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Brat. From death to life and everything in-between

I'm glad that stuff got there in one piece, I was concerned that it that stuff made it 35 years untouched only to be damaged by a careless shipper. Like I said, I'll keep you updated on what I do with my A/C setup to get it working, maybe I can order a second set of A/C hoses when I get mine made. 

• Like 1

Just refreshed a set of original rear bucket seat, seat belts. Refreshed and installed:

15572695028_29b861f56d_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

15573306080_ec98bbc0ca_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

15572266689_bfc18112f4_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

Things left to do:

1. BRAT side sticker

2. Take it to my interior guy, have him fix the Headliner, and Shift Boot. (The head liner didn't hold 100% and needs to be fixed in 1 spot. The Shift Boot doesn't stay put in the floor. Need to have that addressed.)

3. Either put ERA-specific Air Conditioning or Brand New Aftermarket Air Conditioning. (Maybe Restomodair.com)

Re-adjusted the tow hitch last night. Needed to space it out and angle it down slightly so it wouldn't come into contact with the tail gate (when the gate was dropped). Cleaned up the nuts and bolts, and customized a piece of flat unistrut to space out the distance. Works perfectly.

I've got a call into my upholstery guy, who will be fixing the headliner, and shift boot.

Things left to do:

1. BRAT side sticker

2. Take it to my interior guy, have him fix the Headliner, and Shift Boot.

3. Either put ERA-specific Air Conditioning or Brand New Aftermarket Air Conditioning. (Maybe Restomodair.com)

4. Repair steering wheel, Wrap steering wheel with Black perforated leather wrap.

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold my shift boots in the floor, it worked great and isn't so strong that I couldn't remove them with some acetone on a q-tip.

edit: the original AC stuff I sent you has everything to go to the little vents on the ends of the dash and lets you do hot defrost with the A/C, something one of those under-dash evaporators wouldn't ever do.

Edited by djcommie
  • Like 1

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold my shift boots in the floor, it worked great and isn't so strong that I couldn't remove them with some acetone on a q-tip.

edit: the original AC stuff I sent you has everything to go to the little vents on the ends of the dash and lets you do hot defrost with the A/C, something one of those under-dash evaporators wouldn't ever do.

Where specifically did you put the glue? The boot has a small lip that slips under the hole on the transmission tunnel. Did you put glue on the top of the lip of the rubber boot? Or did you let the boot only sit on top of the transmission tunnel and put glue on the underside of the boot?

Now you have to find a set of rear seat belt covers or get some made since they're near impossible to find.

Seat belt covers? Oh why did you have to inform me of such a thing. Now I'm going to spend hours looking into that.

To save me some time, could you elaborate, show me original documents or photos that show what you are talking about? (so I can try to get a set lol)

Took forever to find a picture of them but here they are http://www.lotnut.com/app/item.html?guid=be1baf5d-1f98-47f5-bec2-250aacc61e26

1-large.jpg

Ah, thanks for the photo. I'm sure I've actually seen that before (now that I see it). Good luck finding a pair, let alone a pair in nice shape. I bet I could have my upholstery guy whip up a couple sets. Do you think there would be any interest? Maybe $25-30?

Yeah, I still haven't put my seat belts in just for that reason, and I still need one of the pieces the slips into the buckle. I never knew such a thing existed! My wife's best friend sews (has a nice machine), bet she could whip me up something!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a surprise in store for everyone. Stand by over the next week or so.

Things to do:

1. Surprise

2. Anti-rust coating (I wanted to coat as much of the under-body as I can to preserve the car). What products out there work the best?

3. Air Conditioning (For the So Cal Summer heat)

4. Remove, and repair Steering wheel cracks

5. Remove, and replace faulty left turn signal stalk (when using the turn signal and making a left turn, the signal will stay on and not "click" off after completing the turn)

2. I use Dynatron Dyna-Pro undercoat. 3M shutz is another good product. Just make sure to prime bare spots with a good etch primer like SEM.

Thanks for the lead. I've been reading all I can about coatings. I'll keep the thread posted on what I end up with and how it turns out.

And now the teaser.

15701209863_187c778e4b_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

• Like 2

Great build man, I can't believe I haven't seen your thread yet. Really like what you have done with this so far, keep at it! 

Oh i like that teaser pic! I was just thinking of replacement decals the other day and wondering if a vinyl graphics shop could make some for me. Awesome thread, you inspire me!

Great color combo! I really like the added "subaru".

Thanks guys! It was killing me trying to come up with a color scheme that paid homage to the original while matching the color the Brat currently is. I think this was pretty much perfect. The stickers I believe came in 3 or 4 different designs. This one was my favorite. 

Now that she is back home, I've got some decent iPhone pics to share.

16342552745_9e93dbb8db_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

16154970188_f6ccf5d2e2_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

16156674767_bf1cfc231b_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

16316613166_782b6617ff_b.jpgUntitled by blue03wrx, on Flickr

• Like 3