Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat ea82 turbo bastard project

Started looking around and realized they had a shitty Japanese generic pump under the hood trying to PULL fuel and then under the truck they had a generic carb pump at the tank PUSHING....

20140514_115321_zpsdyvto1n6.jpg

20140514_121559_zpsvoym2yek.jpg

ridiculous

Installed a stock XT turbo pump back at the tank and replaced all of the rubber lines and filter

20140514_160546_zpsfx0poubg.jpg

20140514_160558_zpsspqumjwl.jpg

20140514_160558_zpsspqumjwl.jpg

20140514_160607_zpsxxr0vcij.jpg

20140514_161127_zps8paqihh8.jpg

Got the BRAT running much better but with the narrowband O2 I just cant tune it that well. 

I got it running well enough to drive it about 10 miles without any trouble... 

More progress when the Wideband arrives!

• Like 2

alright so riding around town I had an oil leak from the oil pump dripping on the exhaust and on the timing belt. So I pulled the radiator, having it cleaned and boiled, pulled the pulleys timing belts and oil pump... the oil pump had tons of play in the shaft, about 1/2 up and down movement in the cam gear...

headed to the junkyard and pulled the only ea82 oil pump I could find. Made it home late yesterday ate some dinner and went to rebuilding.

All is well now but I think I got the mickey mouse gasket out of alignment so I will order a  new one today and change it next week. Truck is back running and hopefully next week I can get it tuned better.

20140520_072504_zps6kng6iqr.jpg

20140520_090748_zps2fulgegw.jpg

Edited by cookiemonster131

Why is the fuel system so ridiculous to you?

The fuel pump under the bonnet looks like an EA82 type external pump anyway, which is more than adequate.

It just depends whether the pump under the back can keep the feed up to it. Which considering that one is pushing against a vacuum will help.

And doing it this way means that the fuel line sizes didn't need to be upgraded so badly.

The EA82 EFI engines have a bigger fuel line than the carb version.

Wagonist it is ridiculous to me because electric pumps DO NOT PULL, plain and simple reason for them to fail

As for the black pump being a carb pump I am aware and that is why it is not on the truck anymore.

The fuel system was all revamped and working properly now by replacing all of the rubber lines with proper size and rating for fuel injection and a 70-90 lb XT ea82t pump under the pump within 12" of the fuel tank. Now I have 80lb of pressure under the hood with no strain on the system.

Onto to bigger and better things. the radiator is rebuilt and back and the new mickey mouse gasket should be waiting on me when I return from a trip this weekend.

More progress more progress

PS: got a bitchin original Clarion radio yesterday and a homemade pushbar style bumper yesterday that I will modify to run on the brat, I think... :-)

That low pressure/ high pressure pump setup is pretty common, with a surge tank added it's an ideal setup. I don't think the tank is well baffled which is fine when running a carb but can cause problems with efi when you need constant fuel pressure.

Wagonist it is ridiculous to me because electric pumps DO NOT PULL, plain and simple reason for them to fail

As for the black pump being a carb pump I am aware and that is why it is not on the truck anymore.

The fuel system was all revamped and working properly now by replacing all of the rubber lines with proper size and rating for fuel injection and a 70-90 lb XT ea82t pump under the pump within 12" of the fuel tank. Now I have 80lb of pressure under the hood with no strain on the system.

Onto to bigger and better things. the radiator is rebuilt and back and the new mickey mouse gasket should be waiting on me when I return from a trip this weekend.

More progress more progress

PS: got a bitchin original Clarion radio yesterday and a homemade pushbar style bumper yesterday that I will modify to run on the brat, I think... :-)

EFI fuel pumps do not pull, that's why the EFI pump on the EA82 engine is below the level of the tank, so it is gravity fed.

However, the carb pump in the EA82 will self prime (I've used one to empty a tank before), which does mean it will pull. The EA81 pump is in the engine bay near the top of the firewall, so your statement about electric pumps not pulling is incorrect.

There's always been some debate whether a carb pump is sufficient to prime an EFI pump. Because a carb pump is normally pushing against the pressure of the fuel lines & restrictor needles in the carb, whereas if its priming another more powerful pump, it's pushing against a "vacuum" created by the EFI pump pushing the fuel through and leaving "space" behind. As the output restriction is less, the flow rate of the carb pump actually goes up. However, the debate is about whether this goes up enough to cope with the flow rate of the EFI pump without letting it go dry.

Not saying you're wrong in doing something to this awesome project, as you weren't comfortable with the setup. And you'll definitely have piece of mind now :)