Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any of these have airbags?

I remember when you posted about that accident. Glad you're 90 percent and not 60 or so. Did the seatbelt not hold you due to a malfunction, or it just didn't have a high capacity to hold you back? Did the car still run?

Thanks! My plan is to stay as strong as I can for as long as I can, in order to delay having the L1-L3 fusion. I have a golf ball size muscle knot that is stabilizing it for now (banding).

Seat belt was still intact it just didn't do much to help. And the drivers side timing belt was cut, so definitely didn't run. The A pillars didn't really deform but the body and roof had these crazy ripples in them all the way back to the back of the car.

Were you wearing the lapbelt too? or just hte automatic shoulder belt?

And I didn't crash that car.....my buddy that was borrowing it did.

I am religious about seat belts, never once started that car without the lap belt on.

This leads me to the question of racing seats and 5 point harnesses, wouldn't they just add to whiplash injuries in a street driven car? I plan to add emm to my RX, but I'll probably not daily drive with my helmet and hans.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Also, to add to this.. While Gloyale came out ok with his crash. The crash I had march 2013 was less severe and my L2 vertebrae is now shaped like a door stop. This was a 1990 Loyale and the seat belt didn't stop me much at all. I'm probably at 90% of my former self, even after a year of PT and facet joint injections. It's a matter of circumstance and unpredictable variables as to how bad you get hurt in a crash.

However, this does not dissuade me from driving an RX or EA body. My ride in high school was a single cab ranger, the air bag broke my nose and broke the the rear glass with the back of my head.. In ~10-15 mph fender bender.

Every car can hurt you, driving the most dangerous thing we do. Air bags or not, be safe out there..

IMG_0614.jpg

How fast were you going, and was this a single car collision or a multiple car collision?

It was a 35 mph <> 35 mph head on crash at an angle. I was traveling downhill on a 3 lane city blvd.. On coming honda driver pulled out in front of me making a left turn, incorrectly reading a 2 way green light as a protected green arrow. There were 2 left turn lanes her direction and she never even slow down for the intersection.

I'm split on the 5 point harnesses, but I do think they are safer than the stock belts. But when I see people at autox with a 5 point and helmet, but no hans... It's asking for a neck injury. Esp with the extra weight of a helmet (Dale Earnhardt). Someone should design a hans baseball cap, for rally transits and commuting to work.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

We did things differently in Australia, Brumby's  Ie Brats always had side intrusion bars in the doors on Gen 2 models.

Inertia reel seat belts are not as good as a seat belt that is fixed properly adjusted, Inertia reels were designed because Joe Public is mainly an idiot who either never wears a seat belt or does not adjust it properly.

Because Inertia reel belts allow you to accelerate forward and hit the steering wheel and or dash that is why they bought in Airbags it was basically admitting Inertia Reel belts are not as safe as conventional Belts properly adjusted, After all think about it when you hit something would you then want to accelerate and then be bought to a sudden halt, Makes no sense when looked at with some physics.

A conventional seat belt properly adjusted will hold you firmly and then stretch to absorb the G forces of the impact, A Harness with at least 4 points will keep you square and not allow you to twist with all the danger that can represent, The 5 Point stops you slipping out from under the seat belt and under the dash not a good place to be post accident, Mind you only Ricers drive laying almost Horizontal so normal people are less likely to slip out from under the seat belt.

So as you can now see Airbags are all about admitting late seat belts are a poor Joke compared to at least a Shoulder Lap fixed Belt and in no way approach the safety of a Full harness.

There is after all a reason why every Motorsport Governing Body World wide does not allow the use of standard seat belts except on Transport stages in Rally's and zero tolerance in Tarmac Racing, Harness's only there.

Edited by coxy

I don't like seeing pictures of wrecked old-gen Soobs.  It almost brings tears to my eyes.   Please stop...  

Ahhh.... Just kidding.... I still need to post pics of my '85 Hatchback - hit an elk doing 70 mph.    Not a scratch on me... Car totaled.

STOP PLEASE STOP. YOURE MAKING ME CRY!!

In all seriousness that really does suck and im sorry that happened to you. :( I have an 84 GL Wagon and Im sooooo attached to the machine I just cant imagine what it would be like to lose him. At least you made it out okay though, did the big b******* cave in your top or did he catch the edge of your soob?