Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Israel - subaru story

Well this post should has been due for a long time....

First of all! my name is Roi I'm from Israel and I'm 25 years old..

My passion for Subarus started from the time I was in the army - Me and my team were practicing some navagations out in the desert while driving an H1 Hummer.

After a while when we just finished a very long climb we heared a strange engine noice ;) ;) we looked down the hill and see a Brat full of Bedawin Nomads (some of them sitting on the back) starting to climb, I remember saying "NO WAY!" but as you probably all figure out YES way.

From that day on I knew I'm gonna have one of those...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The thing is that Israel is packed with Subarus especially Gen 2 and 3 (Israel was the second largest market for Subaru throughout the 80s), the reason for that is a bit long but very intresting and I'll write about it later on...

The reason I posted this thread now is that I'm starting to see more and more Israelis on the board and I want them to know that this is THE place to know all about Subarus and to tell their story.

Any way I hope this thread will catch on becouse there is ALOT more to tell and share.

Roi

__________________________________________________________________________________

94 dl Brat - 14 inched, dual carbed and ported , accel coiled and wiered, 5spd tranny and lift sitting here just waitng to get in! roiziss@hotmail.co.il

http://community.webshots.com/user/israbrat

Hey Roi, I just got home from Israel. I didn't have your number or I would have called you. I did call Erez a couple of times, but we never did meet up. Sure would have been cool to meet up with you guys, but Nevitim AB is a looooong way from anything...LOL. You are right about 'Rus in Israel they are everywhere. Have a good one, Tim

More and more? I see only the 2 of us here :D

And talking about Brat in Israel - just saw a perfect one today parking next to mine 1988 - 4WD - and it has the most amazing panel I have ever seen - are all the 4WD in Israel got a digital cockpit?

Not to mention the interior and exterior being 100% new!

An 88 with a digi-dash? Now that's interesting. We stopped receiving digi's for EA81's in 84. My 84 wagon has one - one of the few that is still working correctly as they seem to be fairly unreliable.

Also means that it's a GL without the t-tops. Only GL style dashes would have a digi-dash.

You got 2WD Brats too? We never got a 2WD Brat here....

Very interesting.

GD

Well first there are more then 2 on the board (D92SW - Gal + Holylandsuba)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11825&highlight=israel

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15592&highlight=israel

As for the digidash Brat...I never seen any, was it a dual head lights or a regular one head light DL type? although I think it's pretty easy to swap a DL type dash to a GL digidash... also, I never seen a non DL Brat in Israel.

I think 99% of the Brats sold in Israel were 2wd, People bought it not for the fun of it but for a reliable and a cheap work truck, in the last few years these cars have become a real hit for young kids as it is very common (cheap parts) and reliable and as some of you already know, the Gen2 Brat was sold over here from 81-94!!!

it is also one of the most wanted car by thiefs especially the 4wd (this is why we see so many of them in the desert with the Bedawin Nomads, Chef_Tim can tell you about it).

End of part 1... (got to go, BIG test tommorow) more to come!

Roi

Chef_Tim - how was the visit? too bad we didn't had the chance to meet.

Not as easy as you might think to swap the dash. The wireing is quite different, and all the sending units (even the one in the gas tank) are different.

Over here we have 100% 4WD Brats... and quite a few of our wagons were as well. Really too bad you didn't get the t-tops - that is the one feature that distinquised the Brat over here from all the other small import trucks. Datsun, Toyota, etc.

GD

Those pictures of the cars that look familiar to you guys are labeled as "wish cars" or "I would have give my mother away for this car" titels....:lol: , I remember when I first see SubaruBrat's Brat (even before the current mods) I almost wet my pants:o from joy. I couldn't belive you could do something like that to a Brat, so I showed the pictures of it to every one I could.

Hello all.

Did U know ppl, that in some years, a model with 1300CC engine sold in Israel?

The name of the model was 1.3DL, in coupe, sedan and station wagon body style.

Some models even came with automatic shift and it was a really really discusting model that I ever see.

Gal.