Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Joints or Suspension? Weird Noise

epix

Did a big overhaul for the front suspension/drive on my 86 Brat.. new parts all the way around.

Parts included:

Clutch Kit:

Duralast NU31143

Front:

KYB 233024 GR-2 Suspension Strut Assembly  -- For a 2WD GL (I bought these as it lowered the front end a bit)

Ball Joints (Lower):
K9081 Ball Joints

CV Axles:

EMPI (don't have model number, but these were the "good" quality ones). 

Rear:

KYB 343056 GR-2 Shock

Car does have power steering and ample fluid, not leaking..

When turn at about 10-20mph I can hear a bit of a clunk, not the constant clicking as what I had before replacing the CV's.  I pulled into a parking lot and rolled down the windows, in neither 2wd, nor 4wd when turning the wheels and driving in tight circles I did not hear any clicking noise.

When I did drive over some railroad tracks at about 25mph I felt the clunk, felt more as if it were in the "wheel" area, not under the engine.  Sometimes it is a bit of a repeated clunk noise in the same area when turning at speed, doesn't feel "rotational" but it's hard to tell...  they are a bit more of a click and more of a clunk.. description is bad i know.

Was putting on the 2wd maybe the cause of the clunk?  I'm running stock 13' wheels (on OLD tires..)

Edited by epix

Re check that everything is tight.  Switching 2WD to 4WD or 4WD to 2WD may cause a clunk under certain conditions.  Maybe from drive shaft worn needle bearings in the U joints.

Are all 4 of your tires worn the same?  Tires of un equal diameter can contribute to noises when switching.

Switching 2WD to 4WD or 4WD to 2WD may cause a clunk under certain conditions.

I don't think he converted the car......Just used a set of 2wd front struts......which should not be a problem or cause clunk (unless he forgot the spacer washer the bearing pivots on between springhat and bearing.

Chasing similar clunk while turning in my '88 Wagon, been there since I put it on the road years back.

So far, no joy in finding cause, and everything under the front is new, or still in good condition.

Still digging away at source.

Mostly does it turning into driveways or parking lots where the curb part of the approach is.

I've got the same thing going on with my hatch.

Replaced EVERYTHING ( and I mean everything) from the stubs out last Spring.

Drove it a lot last summer with zero issues. In the fall, I started getting a rythmic, rotational clunk on right turns only, but not the familiar CV clunk.

I've wondered about my motor and trans mounts for a while. Would that allow the tail of the trans to move enough on right turns to bind up a weak universal?

Hmmm...... I think Im going to brave the cold......... Let you guys know what I find.

Dan

so far on my loyale I've eliminated  the rhythmic grinding in the front byproperly torqueing the axle nut. I also had some thumping, banging from the sway bar ends. I beefed that up by adding 4 washers to each end link to keep the sway bar end squared onto the bushing. The sway bar has a tendancy to want to squirt those bushings out and just ride on and bang against the metal mount.

Hmm,  Mine does the same, not my wagon though.  I dont remember the washer spacer on my brats strut tops. I wonder if at some point in the past some shop has repeatedly lost all these washers. I have a tendency to think Gloyale is right. If it had it, I would put it back in order. If someone forgot it I might not know its gone.

What are the failure issues with out said washer, Gloyale? Just a klunk?  

My 82 wagon did that only with very slow speed braking for a bit, but, it was from the 81-82 only brake caliper, needing a special bushing washer, so that's not related.