Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat question

Can't imagine A Brat being prone to rollover. It has a nice wide stance and it's center of gravity is not high up. Just my opinion from driving my 86 Brat. Samuri's and Jeeps where the one I always heard about.

I would think that the Brat may have one of the highest death rates for rollovers because of the passengers in the jumpseats. As far as rollovers in general I thought it was the Bronco II that held that title. I owned one that was rebuilt after a rollover, and was a passenger in a first series Bronco that rolled. I have ridden in GD's Brat and it seems much more stable than any Bronco I have ridden in.

Less prone than an EA81 wagon - same stance, and less sheet metal on top, thus a slightly lower center of gravity. I've had my lifted wagon on some pretty steep stuff, and I conclude that the only way to roll a stock EA81 would be to push it off a cliff, or have the rim grab something hard in a high speed corner.

However the rear seats were discontinued in 86 due to roll-over death lawsuits. The seats were only on US models anyway to get around import tarrifs on trucks. That's why the US didn't get Brat's after 87 - the tarrif was too high, and dropping sales made them not profitable to sell here. Other countries continued to get Brats through 94.

GD

I was insured by Omaha casualty for my Brat.I was dropped by them because they deemed my vehicle to be unsafe.My insurance agent had never seen my Brat so it wasn't due to its condition.The insurance agent said that there were dropping certain vehicles.That was all he told me.On the funny side he asked if I was going to get a different newer vehicle so I could keep my policy through them.