Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many Mileage you got on your EJ22?

WHAT. No way! Is it the legacy outback?

Yep!  She's a beast!

I was playing in the snow/ice in the backyard with it on Tuesday, gotta say I'm pretty impressed so far.  Still trying to get tags on it, so it's not road legal yet.  Soon hopefully.

2.2's (and EJ18's) are beasts. They can make 300k easily - they're almost boring for an old engine - you can expect it if they haven't been abused. They're much more forgiving with oil, cooling and don't have headgasket issues, compared to EJ25.

EJ25s have headgasket issues and arent as forgiving if run hot or people are a little flippant about oil change intervals. If you repair the HGs, never run them hot, change oil like a champ, and address oil leaks quickly, they do great as well.

• Like 1

I fixed one up for a coworker of mine. 99 outback that had thrown a rod. The outback had about 90k on it. I swapped an EJ22 from a 95 with about 235k on it. That was 3 years ago and he drives a lot. Probably closing on 300k at this point.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

My 98 Forester with its high mileage transplant has 200k on the body and about 230k on the engine. This the third engine in the car, the first two during previous owners and this one installed by me since I despise the 2.5's with their quirks and will only have a Subaru if I can have a non-interference engine (the 2.2).  My body is rusting away rapidly, but the engine is a superb runner, doesn't use enough oil to add between 3000 mile changes, doesn't use coolant, and is extremely reliable.  They should have built  the Forester in this combination and avoided all the bad feeling  created with the often-broken 2.5's.