Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I received a letter from the City Office asking me to pay the TAX for my former car. This was Toyota. I have sold that car about a year ago and switched to Subaru. The letter was sent to me 1 year after I sold the car and about 5 years after I bought it. Once I sold the Toyota and purchased Subaru I got rid of all documents related to Toyota. I just have no room to store old paperwork and junk. The City Of Chicago requested to pay the tax + penalty.

I wend to the local Currency Exchange ask for the records and prove that the taxes were paid. they explained that they do not keep those records for 5 years. Of course then I was not able to collect or retrieve any documents related to local tax (which was paid). I also have no access to the bank account records from 5 years ago to prove the payments (which went from my C.Card through Currency Exchange).

How long the law requires me to keep car documents ?  I was under impression it is 3 years. I'm sick and tired of explaining them I have no access to the documents and I'm sure the taxes were paid (simply because all procedures regarding that car - it was used one) were taken by Currency Ex. office and I trust those people know what they doing as they process thousands of those every year. At this moment I'm completely stuck, but I really hate to pay the tax (which I already paid) again and especially deal with the car I do not even own anymore.

I appreciate any help or advice.

ART

• Like 1

^+1 - Good point. 

Tangent: Two days after I sold my last Subaru, it was stolen BEFORE the Buyer had transferred title. It was recovered and the Buyer came back to me to re-authorize (?) the sale as they'd lost the title, etc.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

I make 99% of my payments with CC (and this was probably paid this way but I cannot recall details after 5 years.

Thank you for your replies although I need somewhat official info: how long we need to keep documents related to the car purchase ???

I believe this should be the same for the entire US.

ART

i doubt it's the same for the US.  it's state registration, ownership, titling and taxes - not federal, so I'd guess it varies by state.

i would call the tax and vehicle departments or whoever (each state is different) and ask them how long you need to keep the records.  make multiple calls without telling them the whole story.  just try to get a feel for how it works  and see what they say.  keep the question simple and avoid your whole story, that will only confuse them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...