Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best options for A/C tensioner pulley bearing 1990-94 2.2 Leggy

6204 RSJ

6204 Rubber Sealed Journal

Go to Napa and ask for that is SKF or something NOT made in China. Usually around $15-25 now for a decent quality bearing.

The old bearing can be knocked out with a socket and hammer. New bearing knocked in with a socket that fits against the outer race of the bearing.

• Like 2

yeah, look for Nachi bearings on Amazon. decent prices

look on the present bearing closely to double check the number. the only bearing I know about is for the H6's serpentine system and it's 6203

like this; https://www.amazon.com/6203-2NSE-Bearing-17x40x12-Sealed-Bearings/dp/B0045E0E8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522674228&sr=8-2&keywords=6203+nachi

but they have several sizes

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

+1 on the Nachi bearings

yeah, look for Nachi bearings on Amazon. decent prices

look on the present bearing closely to double check the number. the only bearing I know about is for the H6's serpentine system and it's 6203

like this; https://www.amazon.com/6203-2NSE-Bearing-17x40x12-Sealed-Bearings/dp/B0045E0E8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522674228&sr=8-2&keywords=6203+nachi

but they have several sizes

• 3 weeks later...

The four numbers are the bearing size. Replace with like numbers.

There will be a letter suffix which will designate seal type and other qualities of the bearing.

Rubber is fine, probably seals better anyway. Metal is used where there is a chance for exposure to particles which would damage rubber.

I think it's pretty well protected from anything like that.

Unless you typically blast down gravel roads... tailgating trucks.

Yeah, anymore for stuff like that I have to double up the reading glasses and/or break out the magnifying glass.

Get it in the right light and hold your mouth just right.

Otherwise, try to find your calipers. I have 3 cheap plastic ones, a digital, and a pen that is also a tiny caliper, and still can’t find one sometimes!

Lol , going to bring it into work and have an inspector look it over just for kicks.

I’m going by our man Fairtax4me. Will order one later or tomorrow. Rubber , metal , whatever as long as it’s a name I know.

Edited by moosens

I think somewhere around 2000 they changed it. I grabbed a spare I had on a shelf and it had a 6203 bearing in it, but the one I put in my 96 a few years ago was deffinitely a 6204.

Mame sure you get one with rubber seals to keep dirt/dust/water out. These bearings should not have metal seals for this application.

There are 3 kinds of seals:

The metal shields, which are not really seals.

Rubber seals, typically black.

Contact rubber seals, typically reddish orange.

The last are the best at keeping crud and moisture out and grease in.

Well that bearing is too large. Maybe it’s for 95-99 Legacy ? 2.5?

From the chart I’m looking at I’m guessing I actually need a 6202. The bearing I removed measured at 1 3/8” OD

Working without calipers or micrometer at the moment.

http://www.microbluebearings.com/bearing-size-charts/

Edited by moosens

The color difference may not always translate across all manufacturers, but the contact seals I've bought all have the red color. The NTN, NSK, and Nachi bearings I have are all red. Also, if you look really close where the seal meets the inner race, depending on the brand, you can see a lip, or the gap is very close to non existent.

6202 was the correct size.

And for those that read this far , keep in mind my Legacy is a 1992. The tensioner assy which has the three bolts in a triangular position for the 90-94 2.2 that’s the one explained here.

I know you guys meant well , stuff happens.

We do have a 97 Outback hoping to get on the road soon. I’ll save the 6204 for that car.

Cheers

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1