Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shot Brake Caliper?

90 Loyale. At first I thought I was dealing with some front suspension gremlin but now it seems brake related. Occasionally I get this horrible groaning/ginding noise on slow braking. It may be more obvious when turning at the same time. I can feel it right through the steering. The brake pads are new. I didn't resurface the rotor. Is it possible that the piston from the caliper is getting hung up and causing these symptoms?

If you mounted the new pads yourself, and don't know who mounted the previous pads, check to make sure that the parking brake was not adjusted mid-wear from the previous pads.

If it was adjusted when the previous pads were near the end of their life then it's probably too tight for the new pads you installed.

The parking brake could be too tight and causing your new pads to rub by not backing off the rotor.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Jay

One thing to consider when you don't turn the rotors us the rust rim on the outer edge of the rotor.This will make contact with the corner of the brake pad,more when turning.I've done different methods of removal including throwing it in gear and hitting it with a file.

Check that caliper too,you know the drill.The stores have decent enough rebuilds.I have a used one but need it myself.I'll be gone from Saturday to Saturday.Talk to you soon.

One thing to consider when you don't turn the rotors us the rust rim on the outer edge of the rotor.This will make contact with the corner of the brake pad,more when turning.I've done different methods of removal including throwing it in gear and hitting it with a file.

Check that caliper too,you know the drill.The stores have decent enough rebuilds.I have a used one but need it myself.I'll be gone from Saturday to Saturday.Talk to you soon.

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. It turned out that the lower bolt that holds the caliper on fell out (I did the work myself so have nobody to blame - doh!). During braking that would allow the lower part of the caliper to rotate out and rub the rim.

Check the inside of the rim for fresh rubs. Also, if your rotor needs turning, it has a lip that may keep the caliper from rotating all the way out to the rim. In that case the brake pad would be grinding against the rotor lip. Check for wear there.

If it is bearings, jack it up and you should be able to get some wobble out of the wheel. It only takes a little slop to make a lot of noise, especially if the bearings are dry or full of mud.

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. It turned out that the lower bolt that holds the caliper on fell out (I did the work myself so have nobody to blame - doh!).

drove the RX all winter then to west virginia and ohio and west and back missing the same bolt(either fell out somewhere since or was never installed), all along, all this time, didnt notice it till i swapped another suspension to the rx a few weeks ago! didnt act up any though