Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remanufactured axles from Autozone

I am not sure that I need one, but something is making a noise while I am going under 5 mph (straight, not turning).. my tires are pretty bad, but if it's the axle, I will replace it.

I was quoted a price of $60 for a reman axle from Autozone, worthwhile? Would Advanced Auto parts be better?

92 Loyale, 203,000 miles

from what ive experienced a squeak is probably just brake pads... when they get worn out they touch the rotor and it generates a completely annoying sound... at least thats what i think it is. i drive with it as well, and i wont use the freeway anymore till i get new pads.

if the noise is a clicking sound, that's the cv joints and if its happening in a straight line you better stop driving now. when that happens you gotta replace your boots.

whatever it is, its probably not the axle so dont buy the refurb until youve pinpointed the problem. btw, a new axle is only bout 90 bucks so i'd recommend getting it new for only 30 bucks more, unless you trust autozone. which i dont.

sry if this doesnt help at all, this is the only thing specific i know about cars so far and its definitely not the best source of info. wait for more posts, and also search for "help for a DIY" post, its quite recent and covers whatever problem you have with it.

good luck, skeet

No, it is not a squeak, I had that happen from worn out disk brakes on another vehicle. But neither is it a click, it's closer to a thump-thump-thump, I think it may be related to a tire somehow. I am going to try to move tires around and see if the noise relocates and proceed from there.

if its a tire/wheel problem, then the noise would happen at high speeds as well, i would think. try getting someone to listen to the noise outside of the vehicle while it is moving slow. that way if it is a wheel you can find out which one is making the noise and replace it. someone on the forum just found a buttload of rims and is taking orders, so if you need a new one he probably has it in stock.

another thing im thinking of is a flat spot in a ball joint. with the cv's the clicking noise develops because dirt creates rivets inside the surface. the same thing could happen with one of the wheel joint thingys (just assuming, since i really dont know).

Autozone axles should be OK. I have had remanufactured axles on my 87 Brat for several years now. Since we are on this topic, let me add the following:

I replaced both the front axles (Advance Auto Parts) on my 87 Brat several years ago. Now the inner CV boot on the passenger side has bust. So I go to them yesterday and they do not have me on their system anymore for the axles. I asked why. They said after 5 or 6 years they purge their lifetime warranty items thinking that the owners have sold their vehicles etc. I said that I still had my receipt. So he ordered one for me on a defective exchange basis. Should have come in today. I will most likely get to this week-end after next.

Regards,

aba4430

So I go to them yesterday and they do not have me on their system anymore for the axles. I asked why. They said after 5 or 6 years they purge their lifetime warranty items thinking that the owners have sold their vehicles etc. I said that I still had my receipt. So he ordered one for me on a defective exchange basis.

ALWAYS save your receipts! most parts stores won't keep any info along those lines - think of all the work storing customer info. I'm surprised they keep it at all.

Oh, did I say ALWAYS save your receipts?

The absolute BEST axle guy we know is here in Denver, Marshall Wolf. You can access his site through ours (MWE Enterprises).

He even sells to dealers, builds all years, uses Genuine parts, and gives a lifetime warranty. And he knows which axles go with what.

He may not be quite as cheap as Autozone, but nobody, and I mean nobody, builds them better, and most not nearly as good.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

The absolute BEST axle guy we know is here in Denver, Marshall Wolf. You can access his site through ours (MWE Enterprises).

He even sells to dealers, builds all years, uses Genuine parts, and gives a lifetime warranty. And he knows which axles go with what.

He may not be quite as cheap as Autozone, but nobody, and I mean nobody, builds them better, and most not nearly as good.

Emily

Is that warranty void the moment you leave the "road" ? :brow:

Is that warranty void the moment you leave the "road" ? :brow:

The only time that I know he refused to warrantee (for the 3rd time) an axle was on a car that had suspension problems that kept tearing up the boot, and which the owner refused to fix.

Now, if you're talking the Rubicon or something like that, do you seriously think that anybody is gonna warranty an axle? :rolleyes:

I'd offroad with his axles, IF I actually offroaded :cool: . But I do have his on my '92 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon and wouldn't use any others.

The guy does real quality work.

Emily

The only time that I know he refused to warrantee (for the 3rd time) an axle was on a car that had suspension problems that kept tearing up the boot, and which the owner refused to fix.

Now, if you're talking the Rubicon or something like that, do you seriously think that anybody is gonna warranty an axle? :rolleyes:

I'd offroad with his axles, IF I actually offroaded :cool: . But I do have his on my '92 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon and wouldn't use any others.

The guy does real quality work.

Emily

Awsome thansk for the heads up :drunk: