Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coming over to the "Dark Side"

That's right folks -I just aquired a 94 Legacy GT wagon. "Dark side" as it's dark blue metalic.

Don't know bout all this, first venture into the land of the "new and improved" sure wish it was a turbo but tis good for getting my feet wet so to speak.

Has some issues and some crash rash but the price was right and the potential is there so --

I took the plunge.

Basic questions

1) can I get a FSM or are they hens teeth, give your first born stuff?

2) needs the head lamp plastic de fogged, will plexiglass polish work?

3) Has 185/70 14" tires/wheels, just so happen to have a set of 225/50 16" tires/wheelsfrom my Impreza sitting here wonder if they'll fit?

4) ABS light is on - how do I pull the error codes from the ABS brain?

5) see "Has anyone been foolish enough to..." post

Thanks for reading this and see ya in the trenches.

post-8-136027595749_thumb.jpg

Pretty wagon, I'll see if I can answer some of teh questions.

1) They are available, the problem is that in 93 Subaru started using big binders and annual updates, so you would have to get the 93 binder(s) and teh 94 binder(s) to have a complete set.

2) Not sure here, but sounds good.

3) Yep, they will fit.

4) Haven't played with ABS so I don't have a clue here.

5) There are kits out there to put low pressure turbos on these engines, I wouldn't put the EA82 turbo on there since it is a high pressure turbo. I know people will argue with me about this, but I just rely on my almost 40 years of turbo experience and just grin.

4) ABS light is on - how do I pull the error codes from the ABS brain?

Under the passenger seat is the box with red led that flashes out the error codes. When I had a 92 LS the problem with the ABS was the leaky sunroof let too much water on the passenger side floor and light would go on. Driving with the carpet up for a few days would dry it out enough for the light to go out. I think I got the key to the flashes from chilton's. 16 flashes before repeating was ABS code?

Good Luck

You can paruse what fsm scans I have on my site.

I have a complete 92 section for the engine & engine electrical on there. They will be pretty much the same for the 94's

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans

headlamp cleaning....this is the more permanent fix

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=739

abs diag procedure

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/absdiag.jpg

I'd recommend checking out the legacycentral bbs. A LOT of info on the first gen legacies www.bbs.legacycentral.org

Guest Vickaroo

HI SKIP and Welcome to the "DARK SIDE" :lol: Frightning huh???? Was for me too... so to speak.... Kind of like when I first got my computer and joined the 20th centry... Again Welcome... Vicky

I recently picked up a 1st gen Legacy as well ('91 Turbo), but I was already on the "dark side" having owned my Impreza long before I got the RX. :)

(to Legacy777):

Thanks for the headlamp fix link, I was wondering that myself as the headlamps on my 91 Turbo are quite yellowed. I've searched the crap out of Legacy Central for various things about this car already, but hadn't seen that post yet.

there unfortunately isn't any fsm info for the first gen legacies on the subaru techinfo site.

also...fixed the link...

warp, you're welcome....that's going to be the only permenant fix...all the polishes and such leave the plastic open to the air to just oxidize again.

Hey Guys, thanks for all the great replies.

Leg 777 your site is killer.

It turns out to be a GT touring wagon, has the raised section of the roof like the GL TW's.

Runs real good needs a few items

(center console, steering col. surround, ect)

will be contacting

some of you for the nessasary bits.

Once again, thanks for all the info - being a neophyte -I/we (Dark Side and I) appreciate it.

BTW I updated the picture in my first post