Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 Subaru GL10 Turbo - Hesitations

I have a 1989 GL10 Turbo that has a Legacy Turbo engine in it. Standard shift. During acceleration there is no sign of the hesitations but as soon as the Turbo light comes on the hesitations occur, usually 1 to 2 per second and really annoying on steep hill climbs. Has anyone else experienced this? We have checked the Knock sensor, Throttle Position Switch, Mass Air Intake, changed the plugs/wires/cap, improved the ground wiring, put in a relay for a better spark, checked for exhaust leak, checked the Air Filter. We ran the car without the Turbo and it still did it but not as much. We checked the fuel pressure. The two things left we are considering is the Car's Computer and the fact that there is a straight pipe in the car for exhaust and my mech was mentioning that the hesitations may be occuring with respect to a sensor and that there is really no resistance (that a muffler would provide) with my exhaust pipe. Another questions is: is a vacuum leak the same as an exhaust leak? I think we may be checked that but not sure as a vacuum leak is something that others have mentioned as a possible problem. Anyhoo, any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Simon James

hey welcome to the board.

so you have an EJ22T in a ea series car? if so thats sweet.

as for your problem. that is a tough one. assuming the engine is all stock(like it was in the legacy) I have a few ideas

firt off you dont mention what fuel pressure you have durring the time when the problem occurs. it could be as simple as a pluged filter, crimped fuel line, or bad pump. I recently had a pluged filter that I misdiagnosed at work. I tuned it up and it still cut out under load. there were more details but I will not divulge as it was a chevy and trouble shooting it is a little different.

fuel pressure can be fine at a stand still but under load it may drop.

vacume leak and exhaust leak are two verry different things.

vac. leak is in the metterd air portion of the intake somewhere. a exhaust leak is on the exhaust side of the motor.

I seriously doubt that its related to the exhaust unless its plugged for some reason.

I would put a good meter on the 02 sensor signal and drive it. what does it do under the failure condition?

First thoughts are fuel filter or bad injector(s). Change the fuel filter first since it's a cheap fix. Getting the fuel injectors clean can be expesive.

If you have tuned up your car (spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap), that would eliminate a possible electrical problem (or at least lessen it).

Try the fuel filter first though. Seems you aren't getting enough fuel.

Hmmmm, them are goooood thoughts. I believe we replaced the ignition coil (if that's what you meant by coil packs), we're going to replace the fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks. I'll look into the fuel pressure thingie too and consider that it may be different when under load.And I'll check the O2 sensor thingie. I'll look into that stuff and get back to you all.

Thx again,

Simon

Hmmmm, them are goooood thoughts. I believe we replaced the ignition coil (if that's what you meant by coil packs)
Nope.. I meant coil pack

cp3.jpg

you said you have a legacy turbo motor.

Every Legacy motor I have worked on has had a coil pack like the one above. No distributor. No distributor cap.. I'm just trying to figure out what you have going on under the hood so that perhaps I can make some useful suggestions to help you out.

Any pics of the motor?

EDIT: just noticed your location is 'International'.. Perhaps things are different wherever you are? The rest of the world gets all sorts of subaru variants we never see here.

Hmmm, ic ic. Yah, I'll take a pic of the motor and post it. I was always curious if there were possible incompatibilities with a Legacy Engine and GL10 everything else. I'm in British Columbia, Canada. It's dark now, I'll post the pic tomorrow.Hmmm, now I look at your pic, I don't remember seeing anything like that under the hood. Makes me wonder if I have a Legacy engine in there or my seller has a knack for Fiction. Hmmm

BTW, just curious, is that setup from your pic from an 89 Legacy? I believe that is the engine in mine (as I know that there was a big change in 90's)

Simon

Hey Calebz,

I posted some pics of my engine and should be in "recent photos", I thought that I was putting them in a personal photogallery but I guess there isn't one. Sorry all for being a pic hog. Anyhoo, hope the pics are good enough for what you were wanting, Calebz. Thanks for your help.

Simon

Ok.. from the top

1) the pic of the coil pack is one I found on google.. its a 90+ legacy coil pack. it takes the plcae of the distributor that tthe 89 and older vehicles used.(Australia and japan got the legacy in 89.. US didn't get it until 90.. don't think canada did either.

2) The pics you posted up of an EA82 Turbo motor. Not a legacy Turbo. Sounds like the guy was a little confused. Legacy turbos didn't hit N. America until 91, at which point, the EA82T had been discontinued.

3) Fuel filter.. terribly important

4) timing could be off. to set the timing correctly you must connect the green diagnostic connectors under the dash near the fuse panel before using the timing light.

Thats all for now.. gotta run. Will check on your progress later.

Hmmm, well I think that I'll be giving him a call then as he had said that the engine was a Legacy. I'm picking up a fuel filter and see what difference that makes. Just a quessie, what is the purpose of the coil pack? As it is present in the Legacy's and not in GL10 Turbos? Just so I don't appear to be too much of a newbie when I'm yakking with him.

thx,

Simon

Hmmm, well I think that I'll be giving him a call then as he had said that the engine was a Legacy. I'm picking up a fuel filter and see what difference that makes. Just a quessie, what is the purpose of the coil pack? As it is present in the Legacy's and not in GL10 Turbos? Just so I don't appear to be too much of a newbie when I'm yakking with him.

thx,

Simon

the coil pack is used with distributorless ignition systems. just a bit more advanced than our older disty set ups. the motors are a good bit different in EA and EJ vehicles and dont easily swap without serious modifications.

Yah, I run 91 Octane. I'm thinking it is the fuel filter as my non-turbo state is getting a little bit jerky. We checked the timing and it was good. We were wondering what happened to the timing when the turbo kicks in. We were joking that I would duct tape my mechanic to the front of the car and have him check the timing when I kicked it into turbo but apparently insurance doesn't cover that. There was an original idea that the knock sensor was throwing off the timing when the turbo kicks in but we checked that as well and it was fine. Fuel filter sounds very likely as fuel requirements really increase during turbo so I'm picking one up tomorrow and we'll pop it in and see. Either that or perhaps the computer is mental. Who knows. I'll let you know, my subaru brothers, when I pop it in.

simon

p.s. any thoughts on how a person can increase performance in....say....a 1989 GL10 Turbo. I've put a K&N Filter in already.

the knock sensor is supposed to do something with the timing....it feeds detonation info to the computer...and when there is PRE-detonation...the ECU retards the timing...as PRE-detonation (referred to a KNOCK, PING, PINGING, DETONATION...etc....) is VERY harmfull to an engine.

p.s. any thoughts on how a person can increase performance in....say....a 1989 GL10 Turbo. I've put a K&N Filter in already.

Theres tons of ways to improve performance. the only limit is how much time and money you have.

You don't even have to use the search tool. Just scroll through the first 4-5 pages of active threads on the board, I can think of a few threads you will see that will give you an idea of what goes on around here in the search for a faster, better stopping EA82T

Yah, I don't have a whole tonne to spend on upgrades. I'm just reeling from the disappointment of not having a Legacy engine. Still goes pretty good though. Any initial ideas on upgrades for the capital challenged?

simon

Exhaust, intake, intercooler, boost control, suspension work.

Where do you want to start?

Time to take a cruise around the forums and see whats what . There a ton if modding info for your car. Quite os bit of it discussed recently and should be on the first few pages..

PS.. judging by your first post, your 'mech' also seemed to think you had a Legacy motor in there.. you migh want to consider finding a new guy that actually has some subaru experience.. Or buying your current guy some FSMs for christmas or something. ;)

Okee, I'll go lukkin'. I'm interested to ask him what he thinks is in the car. He just graduated from a Subaru Mech or equivalent course and got his level whatever. If he says Legacy, then yah, either he's not telling me something or he needs to do less drugs. It was a friend of his in the local Subee group that sold me the car so lets all hope he says GL10, heh.