Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

block heater install Q

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

So my dad says he has a subaru block heater he bought for the Loyale but never put in, since they are the same block he said I could have it for the GL, BUT he says, remembering from the same job on my mom's legacy, that taking the plug out to put the heater in, you drain all the coolant/antifreeze out, and that it is a PITA to get it all back in. Any more info/tips/tricks on this? he says you get air in funny places and it's very hard to get out, and my haynes and chiltons manuals are very vague on that. Any help would be much appreciated since it's getting EXTREMELY cold here (20 below this morning!).

Thanks!

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:38 AM

Don't worry about it. Drain the system like you are doing a drain and fill, put the heater in and put the coolant in. Idle the engine until the fans come on and drive as usual.

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:41 AM

flip car over on roof. keep air from getting into the block heater hole..
:lol:

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:25 AM

flip car over on roof. keep air from getting into the block heater hole..
:lol:

BAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA, that's awesome, I may try just that!

seriously though, thanks Shawn, I may try to do it tomorrow

#5 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:35 AM

What I did
remove rad cap
remove rad cock drain plug
remove lower rad hose
remove upper rad hose
remove temp sender wire
remove rad
use 3/4" drive impact, air tool, the 1/2" did nothing
use 14mm hex bit from cornwall tools, $8, it fits, snapon, $24, is too long

make sure gasket is on heater
install, 34mm? socket
install and route cord

enjoy

if you have extra cord, loop it around the passing lamp

BTDT

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:16 PM

I got a magnetic one that just sticks to your oil pan. Welcome to it as my Subaru gets the garage now :) Much easier install than draining the cooalnt in sub zero weather! :-p

#7 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

the magnetic one does different things. the idea of a block heater is that it keeps your entire block warm. an extermal oilpan magnet heater just makes a hotspot in your oil. they make urethane on pads made for the bottom of the oilpan. its only like 40 watts where as that magnetic one is prolly running about 250 watts.

You will not get the same effect with a magnetic one. Being in minnesota, you need a block heater, oil pan heater and perhaps a battery blanket.

#8 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:02 PM

I've got the 40 watt NAPA stick-on kind on my '95 Legacy (The Pretty One's 2000 gets to stay in the heated garage, but my airplane kicked mine out into the cold). I bought the heater pad for my last airplane, but sold it before installing, so when I needed heat I grabbed it. After I stuck it on with the high-temp goo, I taped it all over with aluminum tape. In the morning I see the hood formers outlined in the frost or snow, so I know it's radiating heat throughout the engine compartment. The car starts quietly and I've got heat in less than a minute regardless of outside temp ... but then +19 is as cold as it's gotten so far in NW Montana.

Wherethehell IS winter anyhow?

#9 snowstormer

snowstormer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • northwest wisconsin

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:19 PM

winter is here...

-20f last saturday night.

supposed to hit -25 on wed night or so. still not much snow though. thats a bad combo, cold and no snow.... hope the pipes dont freeze.

hey numbchux- do you have the 14mm hex socket to get out the drain plug on the block? if not, i have one and i am in duluth every weekday if you want to borrow it.

#10 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:58 AM

I got a magnetic one that just sticks to your oil pan. Welcome to it as my Subaru gets the garage now :) Much easier install than draining the cooalnt in sub zero weather! :-p

I'm using one of those now, but it sucks putting it on and off outside, in 6+ inches of snow! I want something i can leave on, and we already have one, and I can put it on in my parents (soon-to-be) heated garage! anyway, I didn't try this morning, took 2 hours to get new tires, then changed the oil, and tried to fix my exhaust "leak" so I could drive the 3 hours up here to duluth for finals, needless to say, I was unsuccessful, and my ears are ringing, bigtime!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users