Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires Rims Again

Scott in Bellingham

I have a 88 Wagon with dual range am lifting it and will leave the stock trans set up and am looking for tires

came across these Walmart beasties wondered if anyones running them

or had comments on them good or bad , the size seems good

215/75-15 (27.9 x 8.5) M+S Super Sport HT $70 a pop

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1819278&cat=0&type=28&dept=91083&path=0%3A91083&year=&make=&model=&vehicle_path=false&tire_spec_selected=&tire_width=215&tire_ratio=75&tire_diameter=15&tire_type=&tire_load_index=&tire_load_range=&tire_speed_rating=&tire_equivalent_load_index=&tire_size=

also I mounted up a 235/75-15 BFG on the stock Subaru Temp Spare rim

and bolted it to the car seems to clear the important stuff

anyone ever run these rims? seems like a natural and the car comes with one already

thanks Scott

Those look perdy good and can't beat the price for a pusedo MT. I wouldnt hesitate to run them. I run Wal-Mart Liberator ATs; the budget AT tire :) If you have a little more to spend on tires; you can get General Grabber MTs and Kumho Venture MTs pretty darn cheap.

Someone out west ran spare rims. I wont try and remember who because I'll wrong. Hopefully they will see the thread and reply. From what I know though you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that will mount real tires to a spare rim in this great age of liability and civil suits. Sounds like you know how to or have the hook up on getting them mounted; rage it !_!

What is the backspacing on those rims? Just an eyeball with a tape measure from mounting surface to rims edge would be fine :)

235/75/15 would be about a 30 inch tire. Your clutch won't love you very much if you use anything bigger than a 27-28.

I would recommend against using the spare wheels. They bend easily.

The FAQ sticky above will give you some insight as to which wheels to use, this link will give you some other ideas for tires. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=198832&posted=1#post198832

235/75/15 would be about a 30 inch tire. Your clutch won't love you very much if you use anything bigger than a 27-28.

235/75R15 are 28.9 inches tall. I run them on my 88 GL. It's quite easy to spin them on dry pavement with stock EA82 SPFI and my clutch never slips.

I would recommend against using the spare wheels. They bend easily.

The FAQ sticky above will give you some insight as to which wheels to use, this link will give you some other ideas for tires. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=198832&posted=1#post198832[/quote]

235/75 was the test fit tire I'm looking at 215/75 (27.9)

SJR

...also I mounted up a 235/75-15 BFG on the stock Subaru Temp Spare rim

and bolted it to the car seems to clear the important stuff

anyone ever run these rims? seems like a natural and the car comes with one already

thanks Scott

I would highly warn against this. An old member of our club ran these when he first joined us. They bend easily. Are generally too narrow for a "good" fit. SOA also warns against using these off pavement.

On a comical note, they did looked funny as heck wobbling down the road.