Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new find.. EA81 dune/swamp buggy

So a friend at work asked me if I wanted a sooby for 50 bucks.. instantly said yes. come to find out, its the buggy I rode in this winter. its a 85 hatchback (EA81) all the metal fenders, doors etc. have been removed. the front and rear bumpers were cut to make the car shorter for in the woods. It has no lift on it, but its running 28 inch tires. The guy used tubed steel to make an outer body support, and then cut up pieces of that 1/4 inch thick plastic bedliner to make wheel wells, fenders etc.

You can take a full swing with a baseball bat and not hurt this car. Comes with a steel front bumper with winch.

Can't wait for the mud pits to thaw out. This is gonna be one dirty soob.

I'll post pics as soon as I get em. I think I'll have it by this weekend.

The good news is its titled, registered and tagged. I'll be able to insure it and run it on the highway to get out to the mud flats

The guy took it to a weigh station and it weighed in at like 2250 lbs. so with that weight and the size of the tires. air em down and I should be able to drive on the ORV trails. can't be more then 8 PSI downpressure on the ground. Anyone know the equation to figure it out?

Your new ride must be uglier than a mud fence, but I'll bet it goes like hell.

Take the amount of surface contact with the ground (let's say 2" x 7" per tire - that's 14" x 4 = 56 square inches. Divide by number of pounds. For grins let's say 2240 lbs. That's 40 psi).

(let's say 2" x 7" per tire - that's 14" x 4 = 56 square inches. Divide by number of pounds. For grins let's say 2240 lbs. That's 40 psi).

i think if you were running those tyres with low pressure, you could get a longer length of tyre on the ground than 2 inches.

• 1 year later...