Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Twiztid CV's...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

Anything available for an upgraded CV shaft? I keep snapping my axles off at the cage, meaning, the spindle will still be in the hub, but on the back side, the shaft that connects the inner and outer joints, doesnt connect at the outer joint.

getting tired of having to get my lazy arse out of my car, rotate the CV, pop the spring clip out and throw it in 4wd to get home. (not to mention, replacing the dang thing later!)

Also, dont buy JY CV's... possibility of rolling a 1 outta 6 on a die is very possible...

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

try the 2wd axles from Subaru, they are stronger, and have better quality control

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:37 AM

I'd look into why you are breaking so many shafts as opposed to finding a stronger one. I use junkyard Subaru shafts; seem to be fine for me. It is junkyard parts so ya it's a craps shoot. Look for the ones with the barcode tags still on them :brow:

How are your tranny mounts? radius rod and other bushings? Have you double checked all your bolts after lift kit instal? Something might be loose or wornout cuasing too much slop in your drivetrain.

#4 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

Up in Canada, Mevotech makes and sells axles with a redesigned outer CV Joint. They are sold at parts stores that are affiliated with 'Auto Parts Plus'.

I've never had one go bad yet. One car (the RustBucket) has 40,000km on a 2-year old pair of them, and the New Car has about 20k on its set.

Normal axles from them have a 'CVS' prefix, but these ones start with 'CVX'. For my cars, I use a 'CVX 8001' axle.

I'd definitely check out all of the suspension components and bushings though. It could be a faulty $5 part that's breaking all of your axles.

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:22 PM

I just blew up ANOTHER front CV...and NOBODY can blame that on AA!!! the front is the same as BYB. I've broken one rear axle beyond repair, and 5 fronts...reman'd = crap!

btw, napa's reman'd axles have a barcode sticker on 'em.

#6 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone looked into welding the weak areas to reinforce them before installation?

#7 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:54 PM

I've used cheap axles from the JY and reman'd but not had the problems you guys have, toasted 1 set so far and that's with alot of hard wheeling and street driving. Are these 4" lift's too? How much strut unloading is there when you're hard on the gas? If you have crappy/tired struts then when ever you're on the gas hard the struts extend making your cv's work at extreme angles. This will kill them, especially with larger tires and/or power.

#8 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

I broke my rears offroad, no doubt it was because I was on the go pedal at full extension, but the fronts always fail onroad. on the freeway, in the middle of nowhere.

#9 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:32 PM

I desplined a hub before I broke a rear CV.

#10 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

Has anyone looked into welding the weak areas to reinforce them before installation?

Of all the broke axle's I've seen it was internal failure inside the 'cups'. Either the C/V 'cage' giving way or the DOJ giving way inside the 'cup'. Don't see where you could weld in there to reinforce them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users