Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Twiztid CV's...

TurboSPFI

Anything available for an upgraded CV shaft? I keep snapping my axles off at the cage, meaning, the spindle will still be in the hub, but on the back side, the shaft that connects the inner and outer joints, doesnt connect at the outer joint.

getting tired of having to get my lazy arse out of my car, rotate the CV, pop the spring clip out and throw it in 4wd to get home. (not to mention, replacing the dang thing later!)

Also, dont buy JY CV's... possibility of rolling a 1 outta 6 on a die is very possible...

I'd look into why you are breaking so many shafts as opposed to finding a stronger one. I use junkyard Subaru shafts; seem to be fine for me. It is junkyard parts so ya it's a craps shoot. Look for the ones with the barcode tags still on them :brow:

How are your tranny mounts? radius rod and other bushings? Have you double checked all your bolts after lift kit instal? Something might be loose or wornout cuasing too much slop in your drivetrain.

Up in Canada, Mevotech makes and sells axles with a redesigned outer CV Joint. They are sold at parts stores that are affiliated with 'Auto Parts Plus'.

I've never had one go bad yet. One car (the RustBucket) has 40,000km on a 2-year old pair of them, and the New Car has about 20k on its set.

Normal axles from them have a 'CVS' prefix, but these ones start with 'CVX'. For my cars, I use a 'CVX 8001' axle.

I'd definitely check out all of the suspension components and bushings though. It could be a faulty $5 part that's breaking all of your axles.

I've used cheap axles from the JY and reman'd but not had the problems you guys have, toasted 1 set so far and that's with alot of hard wheeling and street driving. Are these 4" lift's too? How much strut unloading is there when you're hard on the gas? If you have crappy/tired struts then when ever you're on the gas hard the struts extend making your cv's work at extreme angles. This will kill them, especially with larger tires and/or power.

Has anyone looked into welding the weak areas to reinforce them before installation?

Of all the broke axle's I've seen it was internal failure inside the 'cups'. Either the C/V 'cage' giving way or the DOJ giving way inside the 'cup'. Don't see where you could weld in there to reinforce them.