Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i think its broke. and i think i know why

on the way to work friday, my car left me on the side of the road, so my wife had to come take me to work. and my friend AAA took my car home.

it sounded like a timeing belt, but i had just replaced them less than 10k ago.

well i did a compression test 25psi in the left bank and 130psi in the right.

pulled the front covor and found this...

tn_belt.jpg

i think its broke.

so i ordered a new timeing belt kit. new idler 2 new tensioners, and 2 belts.

Ya it is even more fun when that happens going 55. Since I have no covers that gear shot out the bottom of my car and passed me. Made a funny noise too. I think my words were "that doesn't sound right" and promply pulled over"!?

At least you still have your gear. Mine was never heard from again.

What exactly am I looking at there? It looks like timing belt stuff, but I'm not 100% sure where it's from or what exactly those pieces are supposed to do (I'm sure if they were on the engine, I'd be able to figure it out).

-=Russ=-

That would be the idler pulley for the rightside T-belt. No-worky to good when it goes bu-bye..........

What exactly am I looking at there? It looks like timing belt stuff, but I'm not 100% sure where it's from or what exactly those pieces are supposed to do (I'm sure if they were on the engine, I'd be able to figure it out).

-=Russ=-

You're looking at a timing belt tensioner pulley with a broken bearing.

The tensioner pulleys should have been tested during timing belt replacement. I'm sure they were making noise. Noise is BAAAAAAAD.

Bearings are replaceable. A good bearing supply shop would have been able to match the bearings (probably type 6005 -- that's what's on the XT6). You'd need 2 (1 for each tensioner) on an EA82 engine. 3 on an XT6.

Bearings cost CA$ 12.00 each, including tax here in Ottawa, Canada. Labour to press out old bearings and install new is around CA$ 40.00, including tax for both tensioners.

Myself and others have looked into replacing the bearings on the EA82 tensioners, and it's not possible to do in a cost-effective manner. The shaft the pulley rides on actually forms the inner race for the bearings, so it would take a lot of work to install a new bearing and make it functional.

What's the best price anybody has found for tensioners and where was it from?

on the way to work friday, my car left me on the side of the road, so my wife had to come take me to work. and my friend AAA took my car home.

it sounded like a timeing belt, but i had just replaced them less than 10k ago.

well i did a compression test 25psi in the left bank and 130psi in the right.

pulled the front covor and found this...

tn_belt.jpg

i think its broke.

so i ordered a new timeing belt kit. new idler 2 new tensioners, and 2 belts.

Nice, well at least you have your employee discount.

That exact thing happened to me in Montana, Forsythe to be exact, i don't live in Montana, i live in Michigan, and was driving from Seattle, with a girl. Let me tell you that was not good times. 3 days to get the part, 20 minutes to change the belts in an August rainstorm.

BTW, Montana was on fire, and North Dakota was under a tornado watch, good times were had by all.